• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Remco Douma

Remco Douma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:06 PM

When Spell Catcher shows spelling suggestions, using Ctrl-S you can define a shortcut for it. That works great, but it adds the shortcut to the "Global shorthands" file. Is there a way to change that so it stores it in the specific language shorthand file? That's what I want 9 out of 10 times.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Spell Catcher keeps track of the "most recently added to" Learned Words and Shorthand Glossary files for each language. These are used by the various "Learn" and "Shorthand" buttons/commands in those user interface elements which don't have a corresponding (popup) menu to choose the reference to add to (i.e. the Pop-Up Suggestions List, Learn menu command, etc.).

There's no (truly) obvious way to otherwise set this "default" reference. When a default reference for a particular language is not set, Spell Catcher will pick the first one matching the language that is editable.

To actually set the reference you want to use (for the language you're using at the time), you pretty much need to do it from a window or other user interface element where you can choose the reference to add to. This includes the Suggest Spelling Window, Check Selection window or Find in References window. You only need to do this once for a given language, so if you're using the Pop-Up Suggestions List, try choosing the Suggest Spelling Window command from it, then choose the reference to add to, then add the new word or shorthand.

#3 Remco Douma

Remco Douma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

I think I understand what you mean, but the steps you suggest are pretty cumbersome. Easier then to use my current workflow, which means adding them to the global shortcut list and then moving them to their respective lists in batches.

However, as a possible suggestion, wouldn't it be more logical to do this in such a way that Spell Catcher *first* looks at a language specific reference, and only add it to the global one in case there is no such reference defined? At least in my experience, shortcuts are language dependent 90% of the time, so for me it would make sense to go from "most specific" to "least specific".

Just a thought, not sure if my workflow matches that of other users.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

I'll take a look at the code to see what's going on, and whether there's an easy change I can make that won't introduce any undesirable side-effects.

As for your workflow matching that of others, well, I honestly don't know. I don't think there are many customers making use of the "Available in any language" feature for a sort of "global" reference.

Maybe some other reader will chime in here.

#5 Remco Douma

Remco Douma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:01 PM

Thanks for your respons Evan! Truly nice to see a dedicated developer.

As for a global shortcut list; I use it for generic things like my phone number, address, social security number, that kind of things.

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:13 PM

Makes perfect sense, I suppose the issue hasn't been mentioned (to me, at least, that I can remember). Could be due to the fact that by default, there is no "Available in any language" reference created. I don't doubt that others are making use of it - just not running into the issue or simply not reporting it.

#7 Remco Douma

Remco Douma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:16 PM

I can totally imagine; I've noticed it for quite a while and it's not something that I can't live with... just something that could be perfected.