5 replies to this topic

#1 Rondonraita

Rondonraita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:13 AM

Hi,

I am writing on a paper that needs a lot of song titles, which have to be italicised. In my shorthand glossary, I have tuned the expansions into italics and have ticked "styled text." Yet, in Scrivener it will expand as regular Times New Roman... Am I missing something?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

It seems to work for me (styled expansions) in Scrivener. Do you also have the "Expand with fonts" checkbox selected for these shorthands?

#3 Rondonraita

Rondonraita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:23 AM

Hi and thanks for your reply :-) No, "expand with fonts" is deactivated, because I want the expansion to work with the font I am currently working with... ok, if I tick that box the italics do work, and I suppose I could have the expansion in Times New Roman, but then I think the "styled text option" should work on itself? Otherwise, where would be the difference to "expand with fonts"?

#4 Rondonraita

Rondonraita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:24 AM

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that "expand with fonts" gives me Helvetica and italics.

#5 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

Hi and thanks for your reply :-) No, "expand with fonts" is deactivated, because I want the expansion to work with the font I am currently working with... ok, if I tick that box the italics do work, and I suppose I could have the expansion in Times New Roman, but then I think the "styled text option" should work on itself? Otherwise, where would be the difference to "expand with fonts"?

See Shorthand Expansions with Styled Text here. The feature works, well, the way it works. The "expand with fonts" option is just a convenience so you can toggle styled text expansions without having to change the expansion to/from Plain Text. Styled expansions doesn't (well, can't) inherit the existing font being used in the document. You need to specify the font you want (in this case, Times New Roman, Italic) explicitly. Even then only the actual font family (excluding certain styles, like underline, and size) are used. These are limitations of how input methods that send styled text work. Unfortunate, but that's the reality.

#6 Rondonraita

Rondonraita

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

Thank you for your reply and explanation. It works beautifully, and if I ever need a different font, I know how to change it now.
All the best