• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cher

Cher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 09:01 AM

I have recently bought one of the new iMacs, but need to use Spell catcher under classic. However, when trying to install the software it does not manage to get that far - [FONT=Optima] :(
The iMac only runs OS X and Classic and cannot boot into OS 9 which I hav seen is the preferred method. can you help?
Lawrence

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 13 October 2003 - 07:57 PM

I have recently bought one of the new iMacs, but need to use Spell catcher under classic.  However, when trying to install the software it does not manage to get that far - [FONT=Optima] :(
The iMac only runs OS X and Classic and cannot boot into OS 9 which I hav seen is the preferred method.  can you help?
Lawrence

You should be able to install Spell Catcher 8.1.3 (which uses a newer version of InstallerVISE) while running Classic on OS X. This is NOT TRUE with the 8.1.2 installer - you cannot install Spell Catcher 8.1.2 from the Classic environment.

If you don't have the 8.1.3 installer, you can use our Lost Installers page on our web site to request to download it.

If you ARE using the 8.1.3 installer, I need more details from you about what's actually going wrong because I did test installing from Classic and it should work.

#3 Cher

Cher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 07:39 AM

I have tried the trial version of 8.1.3 and it also will not install.
Lawrence

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 October 2003 - 05:41 PM

I have tried the trial version of 8.1.3 and it also will not install.
Lawrence

Have you tried the REAL 8.1.3?

This did install for me when running on Classic.

So I need much more detail from you. You need to tell me exactly, every little detail you can think of, by what you mean when you state "will not install".

This includes how your machine is configured, hard-drive wise, if you have separate partitions for OS 9 and OS X, what the error would be you got from the 8.1.3 installer, whether you had an existing SC8 installation, anything that is remotely related to this matter.

#5 Cher

Cher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 09:54 AM

OK, it is one of the new iMacs 1 GHz with 512 Mb RAM and a 80 Gb hard drive. It does not boot into OS 9 so it runs OS X. I do not have SC installed on this machine. I have not bought the software yet, because I wanted to be sure it will work on the new machine. I have SC for OS 9 for my secretaries. When I try to install the software it not work even with Classic opened.
THanks,
Lawrence

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 15 October 2003 - 05:24 PM

OK, it is one of the new iMacs 1 GHz with 512 Mb RAM and a 80 Gb hard drive. It does not boot into OS 9 so it runs OS X. I do not have SC installed on this machine.  I have not bought the software yet, because I wanted to be sure it will work on the new machine.  I have SC for OS 9 for my secretaries. When I try to install the software it not work even with Classic opened.
THanks,
Lawrence

More info than that, please!

Where is OS 9 installed vs. OS X? Are they on the same partition? Different partitons?

And I still need to know what you mean by "it won't work even with Classic opened".

What exactly, in total detail, does the phrase "won't work" mean? What exactly happens when you try to install the software? Where do you get an error? Do you get an error? How do you come to the determination that it "won't work"?

That's a start anyway.

#7 Cher

Cher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 04:48 AM

Classic OS 9 is on the same partition as OS X. When I click on the installer, it launches and I can choose the folder etc. When I click install it shuts down all the other programs in OS X and Classic mode. But then when it should start to install the software it goes back to the installer window without having installed anything. It will do this repeatedly. As I said before I cannot boot this iMac into OS 9. Hope that is enough to give you a help. I am running 10.2.7 - I could upgrade to 10.2.8 but I doubt it would help!
Let me know what you think.
Thanks for your help. If we can sort it out I will definitely buy the software.
Lawrence

#8 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:30 AM

Classic OS 9 is on the same partition as OS X.  When I click on the installer, it launches and I can choose the folder etc.  When I click install it shuts down all the other programs in OS X and Classic mode.  But then when it should start to install the software it goes back to the installer window without having installed anything.  It will do this repeatedly. As I said before I cannot boot this iMac into OS 9.  Hope that is enough to give you a help.  I am running 10.2.7 - I could upgrade to 10.2.8 but I doubt it would help!
Let me know what you think.
Thanks for your help. If we can sort it out I will definitely buy the software.
Lawrence

Ok, that definitely helps somewhat. Must be related to having OS X and 9 on the same partition. I don't know if you have a way of separating the two OSes onto different partitions (highly recommended by almost everyone that uses both), but I do know that it will install in that configuration.

Failing all this, and knowing that all my time is spent working on SCX and Panther these days, I can easily provide you with the individual components and instructions on how to drag-copy things into the right places to install. It's really not that tough - there's an application folder, an extension, and a folder that goes into System Folder:Application Support. Just 3 items, only two of which have to be copied to a specific place.

I'll take a look at the installer (and it may only be an issue with the demo installer) to see if there's something obviously wrong for this particular situation.

#9 Cher

Cher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:49 PM

Thanks I will watch out for it.
lawrence

#10 Cher

Cher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2003 - 11:38 PM

Hi Evan, I have been waiting to see if you could pass on information on installing Spell catcher for Classic as you outlined above - can you post a list of where the various items should be put?
Thanks,
Lawrence

#11 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 19 December 2003 - 10:09 PM

Hi Evan, I have been waiting to see if you could pass on information on installing Spell catcher for Classic as you outlined above - can you post a list of where the various items should be put?
Thanks,
Lawrence

Can you email me about this? I have a couple of questions for you first, better turn-around via email. Drop me a note at our support address - support at rainmakerinc dot com.

#12 DmitriiVelichutin

DmitriiVelichutin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:16 AM

The software scanned my computer and quarantened majority of the corrupt malware, it couldnt get rid of 30 files, which are still waiting to be rid of. Could you please help? Kind regards.