• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Bob C.

Bob C.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2003 - 10:15 PM

After using the Spell Catcher version 8.1.3 Updater, the new version of Spell Catcher had an AppleWorks icon. The original Spell Catcher 8.1.2 in a parallel folder retained its Spell Catcher icon. After running Norton System Works Disk Doctor and Disk Warrior, nothing changed. After running DesktopRebuildX, both Spell Catcher applications had AppleWorks icons. The Spell Catcher icon in the Dock also has an AppleWorks icon. I'm running OS X 10.2.6 on an eMac 1 GHz (Classic mode only). Any suggestions?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 13 October 2003 - 11:33 PM

After using the Spell Catcher version 8.1.3 Updater, the new version of Spell Catcher had an AppleWorks icon. The original Spell Catcher 8.1.2 in a parallel folder retained its Spell Catcher icon. After running Norton System Works Disk Doctor and Disk Warrior, nothing changed. After running DesktopRebuildX, both Spell Catcher applications had AppleWorks icons. The Spell Catcher icon in the Dock also has an AppleWorks icon. I'm running OS X 10.2.6 on an eMac 1 GHz (Classic mode only). Any suggestions?

I see this quite a bit, with a number of different apps. Seems that the OS X idea of what icon belongs to who doesn't jive with the OS 9 idea.

I've tried just about everything to try to remedy it, but there doesn't seem to be any sure-fire way.

DiskWarrior doesn't fix problems with the OS 9/Classic desktop database. It will fix Finder flag-related problems on individual files (custom icon, bundle bit) so can sometimes help with this issue. I don't let Norton near my machine. Simply don't trust it at all.

If you boot into OS 9 you'll see that all the icons are correct. But Classic on OS X, forget it. LaunchServices on OS X will generally prevail if an application claims a particular file type or extension.

This seems to happen to me for the Spell Catcher 8 Extension (the Finder thinks it's a ColorSync document on my machine), but it shouldn't be happening to the application itself. So something's not quite right on your machine.

Try this:

Make sure Classic isn't running.

In System Preferences/Classic, Advanced tab, click the Rebuild Desktop button. Not that this always works or anything, but it sounds like you didn't try it. Actually, it probably won't help you out here because it seems like OS X is doing the wrong thing.

You should use Disk Utility to repair permissions (probably won't help, but can't hurt).

Then use something like Jaguar Cache Cleaner to clean your local and user caches (light cleaning should be ok) OR if you want to manually do this just trash any file named com.apple.LaunchServices.xxxxxx.plist from (root of boot volume) /Library/Caches and from (home) ~/Library/Caches and restart right away.

You may also need to trash the com.apple.LaunchServices.plist file from your home ~/Library/Preferences folder if the above doesn't help.

Navigate to the folder containing the Spell Catcher application BEFORE navigating to wherever your copy of AppleWorks resides. Then the Finder will "see" Spell Catcher and use its icons (hopefully, no guarantees) over any AppleWorks-claimed icons - at least for a while (in my experience).