• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Charlie Dilks

Charlie Dilks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 11:42 AM

I know it wasn't that way in SC 8 because 8 was useful.

At first I thought it might be context sensitive since I've been typing just one word to test it, but I just misspelled a word at the end of a sentence and the suggestions were still all capitalized on the first letter.

I just typed "I am crozy" and the suggestion was Crazy. That's worthless since I can't just double click on it and hit "finish" as I could in the past.

I believe all the suggestions except for proper names in 8 were uncapitalized. Guessing at an average of 10 words per sentence, that's 10 to 1 in favor of uncapitalized suggestions.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:58 PM

I know it wasn't that way in SC 8 because 8 was useful.

At first I thought it might be context sensitive since I've been typing just one word to test it, but I just misspelled a word at the end of a sentence and the suggestions were still all capitalized on the first letter.

I just typed "I am crozy" and the suggestion was Crazy. That's worthless since I can't just double click on it and hit "finish" as I could in the past.

I believe all the suggestions except for proper names in 8 were uncapitalized. Guessing at an average of 10 words per sentence, that's 10 to 1 in favor of uncapitalized suggestions.

This is a known issue with how Check Selection works. It always assumes that the first word of any paragraph or of any selection should begin a sentence. You're right that SC8 was smarter about this - it was more of a simple oversight than anything that SCX doesn't behave the same way.

This will be fixed in the next version of SCX, but in the meantime (and one reason I probably didn't make Check Selection a bit smarter) you should generally use the "Check Word" service or Dock Menu item to check single words or word pairs. This is a new feature that didn't exist in SC8 - a lightweight, fast, single-selected-word check.

As for your "I am crozy" example - can you give me steps to reproduce that? Is this in interactive checking, Check Selection? The suggestion should NOT be "Crazy" unless you are selecting the single word "crozy" and doing a Check Selection on it.

#3 Charlie Dilks

Charlie Dilks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the fast reply Evan.
>This will be fixed in the next version of SCX, but in the meantime (and one reason I probably
>didn't make Check Selection a bit smarter) you should generally use the "Check Word" service >or Dock Menu item to check single words or word pairs. This is a new feature that didn't exist in >SC8 - a lightweight, fast, single-selected-word check.

After double clicking on "crozy" in the sentence "I am crozy" I tried check word (command K) and I just get an error tone unless I first go to the dock and activate SC. When I do that I get a "no error" window. I pulled down check spelling and also got a no error message.

>As for your "I am crozy" example - can you give me steps to reproduce that? Is this in
>interactive checking, Check Selection? The suggestion should NOT be "Crazy" unless you are
>selecting the single word "crozy" and doing a Check Selection on it.

You're correct. I'm using interactive. After I get the "curious" after typing the space after the period I go back and double click on "crozy." Then hit "option/command/c" the custom buttons I've set up for check selection because I can hit the keys with one hand more easily. I get "Crazy" as you said I should.

I thought that when I did that with 8 I got "crazy."
If you mean that you're fixing that, great, I'll hang in there by selecting a few words and picking the one I'm interested in the check selection list.

Thanks for the help.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 19 October 2003 - 04:18 PM

You're correct. I'm using interactive. After I get the "curious" after typing the space after the period I go back and double click on "crozy." Then hit "option/command/c" the custom buttons I've set up for check selection because I can hit the keys with one hand more easily. I get "Crazy" as you said I should.

I thought that when I did that with 8 I got "crazy."
If you mean that you're fixing that, great, I'll hang in there by selecting a few words and picking the one I'm interested in the check selection list.

Thanks for the help.

Umm, this is NOT how you use interactive checking.

Turn on "Auto-Show suggestions" to see how to really use it.

After you hear "Curious", you choose the "Suggest Spelling" command. Then you choose the suggestion you want from the list. It gets automagically replaced.

I just did exactly that, "crazy" was the first suggestion.

I am crozy (suggest spelling if auto-show isn't on) - suggestion #1 is "crazy" - type 1 or command-1.

Becomes:

I am crazy

Easy. Go through the "crash course" in the manual (on your disk image) to get an idea of how to use interactive checking.

#5 Charlie Dilks

Charlie Dilks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 05:10 AM

I'd have to modify my habits. After hearing "curious" I like to keep typing on that train of thought and go back and correct things after I'm finished with that particular string.

If you make the X version work like 8, I'll be happy.

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 05:22 AM

I'd have to modify my habits. After hearing "curious" I like to keep typing on that train of thought and go back and correct things after I'm finished with that particular string.

If you make the X version work like 8, I'll be happy.

The X version DOES work very much like 8 in this respect. You can continue on typing into your document (as long as auto-show isn't on WITH suggest spelling gets the focus - just like 8). Then you can fix the errors later from the Suggest Spelling window. There's a little popup next to the Word to Use: text field that lets you choose the error to fix.

In this respect, the manner of operation and UI is almost identical to SC8.

Under the covers there are a zillion differences.

How were you using 8 then? Why can't you use X the same way?

It should be very, very possible to drive interactive checking exactly the same way with X as you did on 8, unless you used 8 in a bit of an unusual way...

#7 Charlie Dilks

Charlie Dilks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 07:30 AM

Evan,
I really appreciate you bearing with me on this.

> How were you using 8 then? Why can't you use X the same way?
It should be very, very possible to drive interactive checking exactly the same way with X as you did on 8, unless you used 8 in a bit of an unusual way...

It SEEMS to me that in 8 I could type "I am a crozy son of a gun." hearing "curious" while I was typing. Then go back and doubleclick on "crozy," choose "check spelling." and get the suggestion of "crazy."

When I do that the window comes up and says "No current error" and everything in it is blank.
That's why I went to using "check selection" which suggests "Crazy."

#8 Charlie Dilks

Charlie Dilks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 06:36 PM

Evan, you were right.
A brief read of the "help" let me know that I neednít, SHOULDN'T double click on the misspelled word to use "suggest spelling." Now it works.

Thanks!
Charlie

#9 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 09:25 PM

Evan, you were right.
A brief read of the "help" let me know that I neednít, SHOULDN'T double click on the misspelled word to use "suggest spelling." Now it works.

Thanks!
Charlie

Glad you see how things are supposed to work now, too bad you might not have been using Spell Catcher 8 as efficiently as you could have...

#10 Charlie Dilks

Charlie Dilks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 08:27 AM

Well, you know what they say about Mac people and manuals. ;)
I still couldn't live without it. Been with it since Thunder.
As a matter of fact, lack of SC and AHED were two of the main things keeping me from going to OS X.
Now I find that there's even a "sort of" dictionary in SCX.
Any plans for a better one?

#11 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 05:19 PM

Well, you know what they say about Mac people and manuals. ;)
I still couldn't live without it. Been with it since Thunder.
As a matter of fact, lack of SC and AHED were two of the main things keeping me from going to OS X.
Now I find that there's even a "sort of" dictionary in SCX.
Any plans for a better one?

We always have plans to make things better...although a better definitions dictionary isn't available from our current supplier. We have some ideas, though. Nothing imminent, but if we can make some money around here we'll be able to turn them into reality.

#12 Charlie Dilks

Charlie Dilks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 October 2003 - 11:00 PM

We always have plans to make things better...although a better definitions dictionary isn't available from our current supplier. We have some ideas, though. Nothing imminent, but if we can make some money around here we'll be able to turn them into reality.

I hope you do make some more money.
I'm just glad you're still thriving.
Somwon lik I NEADS yoo!