• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 karin

karin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 01:58 PM

I've been using spellcatcher plus version 2.0.4 on my old W98 computer but have now bought a new computer running XP. I'm afraid I'm now a bit confused as to how to get it reinstalled.

First of all I installed the current demo version of SCPlus assuming I would just be able to enter my serial number to get it converted into a full version but this did not seem to be possible.

I then uninstalled this and dug out a backup copy I had made of the 2.0.4 file SCP_US.exe assuming I could install this and then add the 2.1.4 update to get it running on XP. However, when I got as far as the entering name and serial number page (and entered the number which I have rechecked) I got stuck with a message saying I either needed a valid serial no, which I had, or could select demo.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong - sorry if I'm overlooking something obvious or the answer is already in the forums or the FAQ pages but I could not find anything concerning this.

Karin

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 24 November 2003 - 06:45 PM

Hi Karin,

I'm surprised that the installation of 2.0.4 didn't work for you. Your serial number may not be entered correctly. You are correct in assuming that you should be able to reinstaller 2.0.4 and then apply the 2.1.4 upgrade. Alternatively, you can also download the 2.1.4 installer and use it directly.

There are several things to try:

1) contact me through e-mail (address below) and I'll verify your serial number to get you going with the installation.

2) register with us online and then download the 2.1.4 installer. You have to be registered to request a download.

To register with us click on this link:

www.rainmakerinc.com/products/register/default.html

Then to request a new 2.1.4 installer click on this link:

www.rainmakerinc.com/support/requestinstaller.html

Contact me again here or directly if you'd like more help,

John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows
john_at_rainmakerinc.com

#3 karin

karin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:18 AM

Dear John

Thanks for your reply. I am already registered so downloaded the 2.1.4 installer, but still got stuck at the same "You must either enter a valid serial number or check 'Install Demo' to proceed." message.

Could I therefore please ask you to send my serial number to my registered address so that I can check that it is OK (I have tried both with and without the hyphens and as far as I can see any zeros/ohs and ones/eyes are correct but still no joy).

Sorry to send this via the forum, but the email I sent to your email address yesterday (substituting @ for the _at_) bounced back as undelivered.

Thanks
Karin

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 02:30 PM

Hi Karin...

No problem, it's strange that the e-mail bounced back... hmmm!

In any case you can have your serial e-mailed to you by following this link:

www.rainmakerinc.com/support/requestserial.html

Let me know how it goes, with a follow-up in this thread.

John

#5 karin

karin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 05:08 AM

Success! - because I had copied the serial number from the program itself as installed on my old computer I had used -XXX at the end which I presumed was part of the serial number. I now realise that this was just representing the last 3 numbers. Sorry if this was explained somewhere and I overlooked it.

Anyway, SpellCatcherPlus is now installed on my new computer (complete with the friendly croaking frog for errors!). You've certainly made the new version easier to install for UK English speakers now that you don't have to install the US reference files first then add in the UK ones.

Thanks for your help and advice on this.

Karin