• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Joe Granger

Joe Granger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 06:45 PM

I went through the most ridiculous purchase process of your product to try to get both SC for OSX and for Classic on my iMac.
I successfully downloaded and installed SC X for my iMac running 10.2.4 after over several hours of download and toil.
However, after several hours of further frustration I can only finally get down to an error message "installer appears to be damaged error # 1009:5.-39" for the SC Classic "Install Spell Catcher 8.1.3" icon when I click it.
I am about ready to ask for my money back...my time is my money because I am self employed; wouldn't it have been far easier to just sell us dial-up guys a CD ?
Joe

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:31 PM

I went through the most ridiculous purchase process of your product to try to get both SC for OSX and for Classic on my iMac.
I successfully downloaded and installed SC X for my iMac running 10.2.4 after over several hours of download and toil.
However, after several hours of further frustration I can only finally get down to an error message "installer appears to be damaged error # 1009:5.-39" for the SC Classic "Install Spell Catcher 8.1.3" icon when I click it.
I am about ready to ask for my money back...my time is my money because I am self employed; wouldn't it have been far easier to just sell us dial-up guys a CD ?
Joe

You can certainly buy a CD from our online store - they have been available for many weeks now.

The reason it's such a pain to download our products right now is due to the old C&G serial number scheme we inherited. Sorry about that. This will all be changing in the next few weeks or so as we release new versions of the programs with different and more secure licensing schemes. We won't have to "hide" those downloads at all, you will be able to download the trial version and license it into the "real thing".

How large is the SC8 installer you downloaded in bytes? Does it apear that you have the entire file?

I'm not sure why it took several hours to download SCX - that sound awfully strange. I can see that it only took one attempt to download it from our Lost Installers page. Even 14Megs doesn't take hours to download.

#3 Joe Granger

Joe Granger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 November 2003 - 04:03 PM

Thanks for the swift reply.
My download size was 13.7 MB and I got the "colored" icon installer 8.1.3.
But clicking on it produced the error message.
Joe
by the way, Kagi implies that the CD versions are only available after you have bought the download...weird sales site.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 29 November 2003 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the swift reply.
My download size was 13.7 MB and I got the "colored" icon installer 8.1.3.
But clicking on it produced the error message.
Joe
by the way, Kagi implies that the CD versions are only available after you have bought the download...weird sales site.

Hmm, 13.7 sounds almost right, but the one on my machine is 13.9 MB (14,572,881 bytes) AFTER unstuffing.

An error -39 does almost always indicate that the file isn't intact. I'm betting your download isn't quite right, or that perhaps you used a version of StuffIt Expander earlier than 7.0.3 to decompress the file?

As for the online store, that's our department, Kagi just hosts it. I'll see if I can clarify the wording - you can certainly buy a license and CD at the same time! Many folks do this. We're a bit restricted with the default Kagi online store, maybe after we get our new versions of Spell Catcher X and Plus out the door we can use their "full customization" option to make the store look the way we want it to (i.e. multiple pages, that kind of stuff).