• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dale

Dale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:29 PM

After just recently adding Spell Catcher to my Windows system (I've been using it since it began as shareware for the Mac), I'm having problems adding new shorthands.
For example, in trying to get "dm" to expand to "Dale Mullen" I've had absolutely no success. However my only other shorthand has worked well so far.
What am I (apparently) doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dale

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:32 PM

After just recently adding Spell Catcher to my Windows system (I've been using it since it began as shareware for the Mac), I'm having problems adding new shorthands.
For example, in trying to get "dm" to expand to "Dale Mullen" I've had absolutely no success. However my only other shorthand has worked well so far.
What am I (apparently) doing wrong?

Thanks,

Dale

Umm - Spell Catcher was never, ever shareware.

Try Find in References on "dm". Bet it's a real word somewhere.

#3 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:49 PM

Hi Dale,

Great question... the answer is quite simple though you have to do some sleuthing to figure it out.

When some expansions aren't happening while others seem ok, chances are the shorthand (in this case "dm") may be a word... go to "Find in Reference Files..." in Spell Catcher's menu and enter the word in question.

In this case "dm" is listed in US English references (perhaps it means "deutche marks"). What to do, given that you want to use this shorthand but you can't remove it from the reference since they are READ-ONLY. (We didn't build the references, we just license them).

There are two solutions, so it's your choice:

1) You can add "dm" to an Omitted Words file, which tells Spell Catcher that even though the word is found in a reference it should NOT be considered as found. Sort of like an un-dictionary. To do this go to the Settings dialog and click on "Reference Files", then add "dm" to the reference "US English Omitted Words".

- Alternatively, -

2) You can also go to the "Shorthand Expansions" panel in the same dialog and check "Expand Duplicates". With this checked, Spell Catcher first looks in glossaries to see if a word should be expanded before looking to see if what you've typed is a word at all.

Hope this helps,
John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows

#4 Dale

Dale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 06:51 PM

Then, obviously I must be mistaken.
I thought when discussing a spell checker a long time ago on CompuServe, Lofty Becker had referred me to you as the author of Thunder 7 (or something similar), which I was thinking was shareware at the time - before C&G took it over for distribution.
Oh well, maybe ol' age hasn't been that good to me.

Dale

P.S. "dm" expands just fine with SpellCatcher on my Mac, why not in Windows?

#5 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 10 December 2003 - 09:06 PM

Then, obviously I must be mistaken.
I thought when discussing a spell checker a long time ago on CompuServe, Lofty Becker had referred me to you as the author of Thunder 7 (or something similar), which I was thinking was shareware at the time - before C&G took it over for distribution.
Oh well, maybe ol' age hasn't been that good to me.

Dale

P.S. "dm" expands just fine with SpellCatcher on my Mac, why not in Windows?

Thunder 7 was indeed the name of the product before it was Spell Catcher, and I was its developer. But it was never shareware.

As for why 'dm' expands on one vs. the other, must be some kind of "ordering" thing - and John's suggestion probably makes the program behave more alike. There are options governing whether shorthands should be checked before or after the spelling databases, which dictates what takes precedence when there are duplicates.

Find in References can be your best friend.

#6 Dale

Dale

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 07:41 AM

Hi Evan & John:

As mentioned in my "fast reply" (doesn't seem to have shown up here), John's idea worked fine and I'm again on my way.
Thanks to both for the replies. This is much appreciated as I can now stay with something in the Windows world with which I'm quite familiar.

Dale