• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 cjaubert

cjaubert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

I'm using Mountain Lion 10.8.2 and Spell Catcher 10.4.1. The app works, but it keeps quitting, causing me to have to reopen it. This happens probably every five minutes.

Any ideas on what's causing this, or what I can do to stop it?

Thanks.

#2 Stephanie Gross

Stephanie Gross

• Admin
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

First off, SCX 10.4.1 has not been updated to be compatible with Mountain Lion. That being said some people are using it fine, others finding issues.

Inline with the problem of quitting, I have found this advice given by my brother previously, it might be worth trying:

Quit the Spell Catcher app (sorry), then move the com.rainmaker.SpellCacher.plist file out of your home Library/Preferences folder (so you can restore it - don't trash it unless it's a problem!), then fire Spell Catcher up again to create fresh prefs.

recommended doing the same thing with the input method's preference file (the com.rainmaker.SpellCatcher.InputMethodUIServer.plist one)

This MAY work, I'll keep digging

#3 braintoniq

braintoniq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Manufacturer of organic functional beverages out of Boulder, CO

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

Just to weigh in here (longtime SC fan).

I upgraded to Mountain Lion (10.8.2 on a quad core Mac Pro) this past week. SpellCatcher worked for the first few days. And then it stopped showing up in the Input menu bar.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- rebuild permissions, restart. Many times.
- reinstalling SC from scratch.
- use Stephanie's suggestion above (quit SC, remove plist files, restart)
- toggle Input Sources on and off.

Only the last will work, but only until I click on anything other than the System Preference window. Once I do that, the Input menu goes back to the US flag and SC quits.

If any SC has found any other utilities and apps that are working as at least temporary replacements (mainly for shorthand autotext autocompletes), please pass them on. I'll keep checking back here to see how things are progressing and if anyone else has found some Mountain Lion fixes.

#4 cjaubert

cjaubert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Stepanie, I did what you suggested - no luck. Same quitting and restarting. Brain, I'll try your suggestions when I get a little more time. Thanks to both of you!

#5 braintoniq

braintoniq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

To keep this thread alive: I'm finding that SC actually does stay active (in the Input Menu) once and awhile after a restart. I'll restart my Mac for some reason and realize that that wonderful yellow checkmark is back on. And it stays on! But then another restart and boom, it stops working and nothing that I can think of will bring it back. The behavior is baffling as I can't seem to find any reason for why it stays on vs stays off.

Currently, at the moment, it's off, even after a few restarts to try getting it to stick on. But I know later in the day, another restart will get it working again.

I'll keep you posted if I find any solution.

#6 cjaubert

cjaubert

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

I've done a clean de-install and a clean re-install, numerous restarts, deleting prefs, and everything else I can think of. Long story short: Nothing worked. Spell Catcher still works when it's on, but it just keeps shutting off randomly.

I don't know if there's anything else out there that does work, but I'm certainly willing to try it (just like I was in trying Keyboard Maestro when QuicKeys became unstable).

So, thanks to you all for the efforts in trying to fix this.

P.S. One odd thing: I use Spell Catcher on four computers, and it works on three using Mountain Lion - just not my MacBook Air. Weird.

#7 braintoniq

braintoniq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:03 PM

cjaubert, I'm seeing the same behavior: it works on some Mt Lion setups, and not on others.

On the Macs where it doesn't work, it WILL work once in awhile. So far, no pattern that I can detect. My guess is that it's one of the other Login Items that is making it turn off. But that's completely guessing.

I do hope someone buys Spell Catcher and upgrades everything. I'd pay good money to get it working again.

#8 braintoniq

braintoniq

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

Update, 2-9-13:

I've figured out a way to keep Spell Catcher going on 10.8.2.

Periodically, SC will still suddenly quit. In the past, it required restarting the whole Mac to get it going again. But lately, I've found that by quitting most of the open apps, and then opening up SC, SC will stay open! I can then go back to work as usual, opening up mutliple apps and no restarting. While that's a slight hassle, it's not a game killer, and I can live with having to do this a couple times a week.

Hope this helps other Spell Catcher lovers.

#9 SteveODonnell

SteveODonnell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

Thanks braintoniq. I quit all my open applications and restarted and now, spellchecker is back.

#10 LWL

LWL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

I found that removing all exceptions in the “Applications” pane of Spell Catcher preferences helped. Also I note that any time I open 1Password, Spell Catcher is immediately deselected in the menu. Quitting 1Password allows me to reselect Spell Catcher. Since 1Password usually need not be open to be effective, this gives me back Spell Catcher. I am using OSX10.8.3 on a new 4 core Mac MIni.

#11 SteveODonnell

SteveODonnell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:04 AM

I started up this morning and Spell Checker wasn't activated. I could activate it from the preferences pane, but as soon as I clicked on something else, it disappeared.
I started to quit the open applications (including Spell Checker) so I could reboot and hopefully get Spell Checker back (assuming something was interfering with it), and as soon as I quit KeePassX, Spell Checker re-launched and has been working.

#12 LWL

LWL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 April 2013 - 10:24 AM

I had a similar problem with OSX 10.8.3 but found that whenever 1Password was open, SpellCatcher would not work. Quit 1Password (it doesn’t have to be open to work) and SpellCatcher stayed open and worked just fine. YMMV.

Lloyd

#13 SteveODonnell

SteveODonnell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:14 AM

After quitting KeepassX, SpellCatcher activates. Later opening Keepass doesn't make SpellCatcher quit. I've duplicated this a few times.