• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Golfersal

Golfersal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:43 PM

Just wondering if anyone with an early version of Yosemite has tried to use Spell Checker???

I believe it may never be updated and love the app, but I am not going to hold my growth and stay at this version of the software just because Spell Checker works.

I realize that this program is on bored time, it barley works in maverick and there will be that one day that it no longer works.

Hopefully it will work for one more system update.

#2 Mondozer

Mondozer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 02:34 PM

Yes.  i've had not trouble I'm Mavericks. I tried SC in Yosemite and it works just fine in Pages and TextEdit. I share your opinions and desires. But, for now, I think you good to go.

#3 Golfersal

Golfersal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:35 AM

I also glad to hear that SC works in Yosemite.  Every update I worry about this program and also fear it will never be updated.

Has anyone used SC with either Bbedit or Microsoft Word???

#4 arodney

arodney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 October 2014 - 11:27 AM

Not working for me in TextEdit and other app's. Can you share your settings? When I have the SC input menu selected, I can't type at all! I can paste, but the keyboard itself just doesn't work at all. Very sad!

#5 Poupic

Poupic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

I made it work in 10.9 but now in 10.10 it doesn't work. Apple looked at this application as some sort of wonder and now doesn't care anymore. Maybe someone will rescue Spell Catcher.

#6 rolf

rolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 02:54 PM

Spell Catcher is still working for me in Mavericks and so I am staying with Mavericks for the time being. But I have been looking at possible replacements (without much success), and it has made me realize once again what a remarkable application Spell Catcher is. It would be really sad to see it turn into abandonware.

#7 arodney

arodney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

SC doesn't work for me correctly in Yosemite in a number of areas so I had to kill it. So sad. I'd gladly pay all over again for a working version. That said, I did get much of the damaged functionality to work with Grammarian although it's not as seamless nor work as well as SC.  

#8 arodney

arodney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

Update. After futzing around with the huge number of possible setting options in SC, I’m able to get it to run in Yosemite! Not sure what was wrong in the past, but it’s working 98% now. Making it the forward application to configure settings takes some time (slow, SBBD: SPINNING BEACH BALL OF DEATH) for a couple seconds but then all seems fine. 

Perhaps there is a way to list all the possible settings configurations such others can test this under Yosemite? But whatever changed, I’m so happy SC is working. I was nearly prepared to go back to Mavericks but I’m going to stick with the current SC settings and hope it will continue to work in the future. 

#9 rolf

rolf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

Great news. I had been trialling Grammarian, but in spite of considerable help from the developer it proved to be ultimately unusable for me because of a Unicode bug. Perhaps I'll try installing Yosemite on an external drive and see if I can get SC to work.

#10 Golfersal

Golfersal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 01:10 PM

Guys, after using Spell Catcher for over a decade and loving every bit of it, the facts are it's time to make a change.

Yes SC does work in Yosemite, but it is very inconsistent.  First you have to input it on the menu to get it to run, but the cardinal sin has been in interactive mode it would mis-spell names.  A lot of it had to do with replacing the bad word, it would pick the middle of the word to do it and was a mess.

So I found myself wasting time getting it to run good so I started to look around.

Have found that Grammarian has the same capabilities in spell checking and doing it on the fly.  I also like the grammar part of it and frankly have found the replacement for Spell Catcher.

Feel that I have been loyal to Spell Catcher, it's been over two years since Evan Gross passed away and it's becoming obvious that this company was a one man band and nobody else is coming to the top in taking over. it from Gross  Each update that Apple comes out with we all have to hold our breath to see if Spell Catcher will still work and frankly it's time for us to get off this death march.  I can't see Spell Catcher ever being the way it use to be and with Grammarian out there and trying to get better, it's time for a change.

Wish it didn't have to be this way but it is.  Guess that's a lesson to those that write programs and sell it, you dying could spell the end of the program and put all your customers in a pickle.  I am now worried about another program, Panaroma, which I have used for close to 20 years, but just like Spell Catcher it's own by the developer who is doing everything.  Hope he doesn't get hit by a bus anytime soon.

So I thank Evan Gross for producing a great product and very disappointed to move forward to another package.

#11 DEddy

DEddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

SC v10.4.1 works fine in Yosemite v10.10.3.   :D

Made no adjustments to settings.

I use SC for spellchecking & dictionary look up.

Very happy that it continues to work.

#12 Poupic

Poupic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:00 PM

Works great for me in OS X 10.10.2  and 10.4.1. I do not use interactive. I used to have to click the flag then SC to check the spelling of a text. I have the interactive off now so it's fast and easy again. I can't live without SC and hoping someone will rescue this wonder application.

#13 DEddy

DEddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:08 PM

SpellCatcher continues to work for me in El Capitan OS X v10.11.2.

Has trouble grabbing correct word in an email, but on balance ok.

I really only use spell check (look up correct spelling) and definitions.