4 replies to this topic

#1 DEddy

DEddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:16 PM

Stephanie -

Any comments yet on SpellCatcher in Sierra?

I've had no major issues in El Capitan... but I really only use spell checking & dictionary lookup.

- David

#2 DEddy

DEddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:44 PM

SCX appears to be working ok in Sierra.

#3 RAUS

RAUS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 10:22 PM

Hi,

Interactive spell checking and other dictionary functions seem to be working as expected in Sierra. However, "Lookup" and other features may have to be accessed from the Icon in the Dock.

The "Modify Selection" functions do not work from the top menu bar. However, they seem to work fine when accessed from the Icon in the Dock.

The shorthand text expansions started crashing Mail and some other programs for me with OS 10.9.5 so I've disabled this feature and I am using Typinator. It let me import my expansions from SpellCatcher with some work but it was doable. 

It is not as smooth as SpellCatcher was, but it does have some extra features that I am sure Evan would have surpassed if he'd had the chance.

Ghostwriter seems to be working as expected.

I was hesitant to upgrade to Sierra because I was afraid that SpellCatcher would not work. It is essential to my workflow. However, it seems to be fully usable for my purpose.

I really hope that some way can be found to update SpellCatcher for use with other versions of the macOS that show up in the future. 

By the way, I also think that $30 if far too low a price for this very helpful software. I suspect that I am not alone. I am always amazed that 10 to 15 people are usually signed in to this forum whenever I check for the latest news.

I hope that this helps.

Richard

#4 bengreens

bengreens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 05:48 PM

Richard, thanks for that information.

I’ve been sticking with Yosemite for fear of updates breaking SCX, which is essential to my workflow as well. But it’s the shorthand expansion I can’t live without, so II will stick with Yosemite for a bit longer. Typinator didn’t cut it for me, though I may not have given it enough of a chance.

At some point I’ll install SIerra on a laptop and see what happens. 

#5 bengreens

bengreens

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:00 AM

Oops, duh, I just reread this thread and realized 10.9 is Mavericks. I installed Sierra on my dads computer yesterday, and while I don't think it's a great OS, I will probably switch to it at some point, rather than falling behind as I have done in the past.

I really can't live without the shorthand autocomplete, and typinator was way too jerky for me to use.

Goodbye Yosemite, hello El Cap for awhile, and eventually Sierra.

Ugh, Apple is really starting to suck. All they care about is iPhones.