• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Apple Peel

Apple Peel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 July 2003 - 03:23 PM

This is something that I would use on a regular basis... Often times, while re-reading something I've already typed, I realize that I meant to put such and such a word or phrase in between quotation marks.

Right now, what I have to do is:

1) go with the cursor to the beginning of the phrase
2) type a quotation mark (SCX automatically inserts the language-specific kind with the correct orientation)
3) go with the cursor to the end of the phrase
4) type another quotation mark (SCX automatically inserts the language-specific kind, but cannot guess the correct orientation, so I usually have to hit the key a second time to get SCX to change the orientation).

My idea is that I should be able to:

1) select the phrase
2) type a shortcut that automatically inserts an opening quotation mark at the beginning of the phrase and a closing one at the end

Two steps instead of four or five is much better.

I actually already have a macro that does this in Word, but I'd like something that works system-wide.

Of course, it would be a language-dependent feature, like the smart quotes feature. If smart quotes was off, it would simply insert a straight quotation mark before and after.

Also, if the selection included a trailing space or punctuation mark before or after, SCX would be smart enough to put the inserted quotation marks before or after the trailing chars, as appropriate.

What do you think?

Pierre

#2 Guest_rriforumadmin_*

Guest_rriforumadmin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2003 - 02:04 AM

This is something that I would use on a regular basis... Often times, while re-reading something I've already typed, I realize that I meant to put such and such a word or phrase in between quotation marks.

Right now, what I have to do is:

1) go with the cursor to the beginning of the phrase
2) type a quotation mark (SCX automatically inserts the language-specific kind with the correct orientation)
3) go with the cursor to the end of the phrase
4) type another quotation mark (SCX automatically inserts the language-specific kind, but cannot guess the correct orientation, so I usually have to hit the key a second time to get SCX to change the orientation).

My idea is that I should be able to:

1) select the phrase
2) type a shortcut that automatically inserts an opening quotation mark at the beginning of the phrase and a closing one at the end

Two steps instead of four or five is much better.

I actually already have a macro that does this in Word, but I'd like something that works system-wide.

Of course, it would be a language-dependent feature, like the smart quotes feature. If smart quotes was off, it would simply insert a straight quotation mark before and after.

Also, if the selection included a trailing space or punctuation mark before or after, SCX would be smart enough to put the inserted quotation marks before or after the trailing chars, as appropriate.

What do you think?

Pierre

Good idea. Noted. Can't promise a delivery date or version, though...

Evan