• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 08:13 AM

I just got a new computer and want to put my expansions on this computer from my old one without retyping all of them....believe me there are tons. Is there any way I can do this without spending hours retyping?

Thanks for any help!
Robin

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:50 PM

Hi Robin,

Yes, moving your expansions to a new computer should be easy. Hopefully, you've been placing these expansions into a single shorthand file or perhaps two.

What you have to do is locate the expansion files (they have a .3sc extension in their file name) and then move them onto your new machine either by floppy or through a network.

Locating your expansion files is pretty simple, just use the "Search" facility that is provided with each OS. It also helps if you've been putting these expansions into a shorthand file that you've specifically created ("Robin's Expansions.3sc" for instance)... otherwise they'll be in a file called "US English - My Shorthands.3sc". You'll probably find several copies of this file on your old machine, the largest and most recently modified is the file that contains you're expansions.

There is certainly no need to retype these expansions. If you need any more help, get back to me here...

Thanks,
John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows

#3 Robin

Robin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:39 PM

Oh yes, I definitely need more help! I am so upset with myself :( . While waiting for your reply I thought maybe I could try to figure it out so I was experimenting. I accidentally removed my shorthand expansion. Is there any way to retrieve it? It is not in my recycle bin. I sure hope you can help.

Thanks,
Robin

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 09:13 PM

Better e-mail me directly...

john_at_rainmakerinc.com and well get it figured out... and we did.

Robin had clicked the "Remove" button in Settings->Reference Files panel. This button doesn't actually delete files... it just moves them into another folder called "Removed" so they can be retrieved later if required (as was the case in this instance).

Spell Catcher never deletes your reference files, either when operating or during an uninstall.

John