• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bobv

bobv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:15 PM

I've tried repeatedly to get rid of the countdown timer after I upgraded to 2.5 from 2.14 (purchased 9/03) The registration won't accept the serial # (I had a copy sent to me to verify) Will Spell Catcher self destruct when the 15 day "trial" is at an end (I am at "12 days left" now)? I like 2.5 better but am leery of getting started on a new project if I have it go south on me and lock up everything.

Thanks.

BobV

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 02:36 PM

Hi,

Glad to hear you like 2.5.0 better than 2.1.4, I certainly do too. For those upgrading to 2.5.0 were asking for your support if you purchased Spell Catcher from C&G prior to July 2003. Those who purchased from C&G and are upgrading to 2.5.0 are given a 15 day period to try the new version.

Serial numbers beginning with "SCW-" will not work with version 2.5.0.

If you want to keep using the new version (after the 15 days) we're going to be adding a $14.95 upgrade purchase to our Kagi web store. If you don't want to participate in the upgrade, you can easily revert back to the version you were using by moving the files from your "Spell Catcher Plus/Old Version XXX" folder back into the "Spell Catcher Plus" folder.

The upgrade purchase button hasn't yet been added to the kagi page, but will be before the 15 day trial is over.

If you purchased Spell Catcher from us through kagi since July 2003, you'll be given the upgrade freely.

Why are we charging for this upgrade?
Several reasons:
1) We've added a few great features to the program that we feel justify the cost to you.
2) There hasn't been a upgrade charge in several years... previous upgrades (2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, 2.1.0, and 2.1.4) were provided freely.
3) C&G didn't pay me any proceeds from the sale of Spell Catcher Plus for the past several years while they had exclusive marketing rights to the product.

#3 bobv

bobv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:16 PM

As mentioned, I purchased the 2.14 on 9/4/2003 How do I go about getting the freely offered update to work or is there a different method from typing in the serial #, etc?

Thanks.

BobV

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 January 2004 - 03:46 PM

Hi Bob,

For those who've purchased from us through Kagi (including yourself), I've already registered you in our database as a purchaser who can request a key to unlock their 2.5.0 installation so it operates permanently.

All you have to do is press the "Request Key" button in the Expiry dialog that appears when Spell Catcher is launched. That will take you to a dialog where you enter your name and e-mail address, then press the Submit button.

You'll be taken to a web page where you can request a key to unlock your installation. The key and instructions to install it will be e-mailed directly to you.

Get back to me here if there are further questions...
Thanks,
John

#5 bobv

bobv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 01:03 PM

Hi, John--

Not having any luck getting the key approved. I have Spell Catcher on another machine and can only use a very slow dialup on it. But whenever I try, it keeps coming back with the error msg that I'm not registered and on startup I'm down to 10 days remaining.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. BobV

#6 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:05 PM

Hi Bob,

Here's how you request a key for a machine that is not on the net:

1) Install and Launch Spell Catcher on the off-net machine.
2) Go to the "About Spell Catcher..." dialog and record the 6 digit number near the bottom left corner of the dialog.

3) Go to a machine that is on the net and go to our web page where you can request a key.
4) Enter your name, and e-mail address as supplied when you purchased Spell Catcher. Press the Submit button on the web page.

If you're registered then a registration code will appear on the page. If it does, (and it should in your case), enter the 6 digits that you recorded from the off-net machine into the Installation ID field. It is important that you enter the same six digits as you observed on your off-net machine since this is the machine you're creating the key for.

Optionally, you can also enter a company name and the subject of the e-mail that is going to be sent to you.

Press the Submit button again and an e-mail with the key attached will be sent to you. When the e-mail arrives, put the key attachment on a floppy.

If you indicated that your e-mail service doesn't accept attachments, then you should drag the entire e-mail from your e-mail application onto your desktop so a file is created and then from there onto a floppy.

Once you have either the key file or a saved e-mail on a floppy, carry the floppy over to your off-net machine and move it from the floppy onto the desktop. Then double click it to have the key moved into your "Spell Catcher Plus" folder.

That's how you install a key into a machine that is not on the net... by having a key e-mailed to a machine that is on the net and then copying the key file onto the off-net machine by using a floppy or local-area network.

Hope this helps,
Let me know how it goes...
Thanks,
John

#7 bobv

bobv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:16 AM

Hi, John--

I'm beginning to feel really stupid. I tried the submit request and it told me I wasn't registered. So I thought I'd run through the registration and it told me I didn't have a valid serial number for the product.

I've got the info but am increasingly inept using it, it seems. Back in Sept I got the following Kagi transaction ID: CHYACYKCSS9R2CEP9

and then checked the serial number after requesting and getting it via e-mail last week. So, I've got a serial #, the 6 digit code off the program and nothing registers for me.

:blink:

Bob

#8 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 16 January 2004 - 08:41 PM

Hi, John--

I'm beginning to feel really stupid.  I tried the submit request and it told me I wasn't registered.  So I thought I'd run through the registration and it told me I didn't have a valid serial number for the product.

I've got the info but am increasingly inept using it, it seems.  Back in Sept I got the following Kagi transaction ID: CHYACYKCSS9R2CEP9

and then checked the serial number after requesting and getting it via e-mail last week.  So, I've got a serial #, the 6 digit code off the program and nothing registers for me.

:blink:

Bob

There's no need to use our Product Registration form for Spell Catcher Plus 2.5. When you buy from our online store now, you automatically get registered. We have also manually registered all the existing Kagi customers - we just can't sell the upgrade yet because of other details related to our online store.

The whole process is completely different for SCPlus 2.5 - you don't ever need to use our Lost Installers, Lost Serial numbers, or Product Registration pages. If you ever need to re-download the program, the trial version is exactly the same (less the additional languages, which you can always get separately) as the real thing.

Have you tried what John suggested - requesting the key?

#9 bobv

bobv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 05:08 PM

[quote name='Evan Gross' date='Jan 16 2004, 08:41 PM'] [quote name='bobv' date='Jan 16 2004, 11:16 AM']
Have you tried what John suggested - requesting the key? [/quote]
I've tried it and get the following error:

Registration Code No Records located Name and e-mail address not registered.

This is why I figured I wasn't registered and tried that route, to no avail. How am I making this more complicated than it should be? Frustrating.

Thanks.

BobV

#10 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 17 January 2004 - 08:16 PM

[quote name='bobv' date='Jan 17 2004, 05:08 PM'] [quote name='Evan Gross' date='Jan 16 2004, 08:41 PM'] [quote name='bobv' date='Jan 16 2004, 11:16 AM']
Have you tried what John suggested - requesting the key? [/QUOTE]
I've tried it and get the following error:

Registration Code No Records located Name and e-mail address not registered.

This is why I figured I wasn't registered and tried that route, to no avail. How am I making this more complicated than it should be? Frustrating.

Thanks.

BobV [/quote]
Looks like something's wrong on our end in the SCPlus "key registration" database.

John won't be back until Monday, I assume you still have a few days left on the trial. Hang in there, this is a brand new registration system, we'll get it all figured out...