• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 azav8r

azav8r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2004 - 04:42 PM

I am a PC user (I know, I know) and I bought Spell Catcher 8 for my mother-inl-law. I would like to help her install the application. I bought and downloaded the program and compressed user manual and wrote them out to a CD on my PC. I guess that won't work so I will send them to my her via email to eliminate CD formatting problems, or is there a way to get the files on a CD she can use?

Can someone tell me what to tell her to do with the files I send her? She is using OS 9.

Thanks for your help and patience.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 13 January 2004 - 11:26 PM

I am a PC user (I know, I know) and I bought Spell Catcher 8 for my mother-inl-law.  I would like to help her install the application.  I bought and downloaded the program and compressed user manual and wrote them out to a CD on my PC.  I guess that won't work so I will send them to my her via email to eliminate CD formatting problems, or is there a way to get  the files on a CD she can use?

Can someone tell me what to tell her to do with the files I send her? She is using OS 9.

Thanks for your help and patience.

I don't think there's any way (short of buying some 3rd party software that can do this) to write a Mac CD from a PC - at least not if the Mac files contain resource forks (which the SC8 installer does).

What MIGHT work is if you copy the *compressed* file (the .sit file) from your PC to a CD, then uncompress it from the CD on the Mac.

Once the files are uncompressed on the Mac, installing is a simple matter. It's just an installer application you run.

And we have nothing against PC users here - we have a product (Spell Catcher Plus) for their platform as well!

#3 azav8r

azav8r

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 07:18 PM

Evan,

Thanks very much.

I still have the two files I downloaded on my PC (Install_SC8.sit and SC_8_Manual.sit). Would it be feasible to email these as attachments thus eliminating the CD format problem and give her instructions for the installation? I assume she has Stuffit on her OS 9.

If I can do that and she now has the files as email attachments (she uses Outlook Express) can you tell me what she needs to do with those attachments? Thanks again fopr your patience.

Chad

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 14 January 2004 - 11:08 PM

Evan,

Thanks very much.

I still have the two files I downloaded on my PC (Install_SC8.sit and SC_8_Manual.sit).  Would it be feasible to email these as attachments thus eliminating the CD format problem and give her instructions for the installation?  I assume she has Stuffit on her OS 9.

If I can do that and she now has the files as email attachments (she uses Outlook Express) can you tell me what she needs to do with those attachments?  Thanks again fopr your patience.

Chad

If you are able to email attachments that large, go for it. Most ISPs don't allow attachments over 5MB. The Install_SC8.sit file is almost 15MB - so I can foresee trouble trying to email it.

#5 yulsa

yulsa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:07 AM

I can suggest try it...
Repair Outlook Express and Windows Address Book tools. - Repair and recovery Outlook Express folders and emails. Undelete Outlook Express messages. Recovering and repairing Windows Address Book.
and
Easy Outlook Express repair tools. - Repairing a damaged or corrupted Outlook Express folders ands messages.