• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptDilli

CaptDilli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 02:14 PM

I am a registered user of Spell Catcher Plus for Windows 2.0.4. I downloaded SC_Plus_Update_250.exe and installed it as directed. The first conflict I had was Spell Catcher Plus 2.5.0 hijacked my sound card. I.e. The only sounds that could be played on my machine were ones fro Spell Catcher Plus 2.5.0. Of course exiting Spell Catcher Plus 2.5.0. Resolved this problem.

Spell Catcher Plus installed at "d:\Program Files\Spell Catcher Plus"

System Info:
Microsoft Windows 98 4.10.2222A
Upgrade using /SrcDir=F:\NEWFIL~1\W98SE\WIN98 /IQ /U:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
IE 5 6.0.2800.1106
Uptime: 1:23:59:09
Normal mode
GenuineIntel x86 Family 6 Model 11 Stepping 4 Intel MMX™ Technology 1.4 Ghz
512MB RAM
30% system resources free
Windows-managed swap file on drive D (1793MB free)
Available space on drive C: 921MB of 8040MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive D: 1793MB of 8001MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive E: 591MB of 1843MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive F: 996MB of 11049MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive G: 1550MB of 10226MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive H: 1240MB of 6184MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive L: 10709MB of 114442MB (FAT32)
Available space on drive M: 0MB of 19522MB (FAT32)

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 07:27 PM

Hi,

Glad you posted... Spell Catcher uses Direct Sound to play its WAVE sounds when a typo is detected.

Just last week I put together a new DLL that uses a newer version of Direct Sound than the version that was released with the currently posted Upgrade package.

I'd like you to e-mail me directly so I can forward this new DLL to you for testing.

Please get back to me directly,
Thanks,
John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows
john_at_rainmakerinc.com

#3 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 04:39 PM

Note to All:

Several users have reported this problem... sound card being taken over by Spell Catcher.

I noticed that they were all Win 98 users. I did a little searching on MSDN (Microsoft's Developers Network) and discovered in older version of Direct Sound, the use of Direct Sound would block the playing of WAVEout sounds (the original means of playing recorded sounds in Windows 95).

So I added a checkbox to the Error Sounds panel, so users could turn off Spell Catcher's use of Direct Sound if it was causing sounds from other applications to be blocked.

I've sent this fix to everyone that reported this issue and they all reported the problem solved.

A new version 2.5.1 will be available for download by Jan. 31 /03 with this fix and a few other minor changes.

John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows

#4 mak2204

mak2204

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:21 PM

I have winXp pro on my computer. Since installing Spell catcher pro, I believe its the latest version. I have found that when I play Java based games i.e. Yahoo pool. I have no sound. Well, tell a Lie I do have sound except from the game it self. I've check that win media player has sound and also Spell catcher has sound. Does any one know why this is.
Thanks
MAK

#5 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 08:32 PM

Hi MAK,

If you exit Spell Catcher does sound play in Yahoo Pool? If it does, launch Spell Catcher again and go to it Settings dialog -> Sound Control panel.

Make sure that Use Microsoft’s DirectSound checkbox is NOT checked, and try again.

Let me know how that works by posting a follow-up in this thread.
Thanks,
John Tytler,
Author - Spell Catcher Plus

#6 mak2204

mak2204

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 07:15 PM

I tried what you asked, and no luck...
I also checked and in the settings sound control panel it was all ready set "not checked" it cant be that then. I'm gona install it on my laptop, if it works fine on that, then I think I'll format my machine and start over. Having spell catcher working perfect is a big deal for me.

#7 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 06:19 PM

Thanks for the reply...

Let me know what you find out on your laptop.

Currently I'm pretty busy getting the next version ready... but this is something that I do want to investigate.

John Tytler,
Author - Spell Catcher Plus
Spell Catcher Plus
Rainmaker Research