11 replies to this topic

#1 Interprises

Interprises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 09:13 AM

Hello.

Receiving the error message below when trying to access the program. This has just started happening, and I have not made any changes to the system. Problem occurs with my earlier (purchased) version and with the new trial version (2.5). Please help.

I'm running XP Home.

{I tried to post an image of the error, but your IMG tags do not work. Let me know if you would like me to send the screen capture.}

The error reads:

Program C:\Program Files\Spell Catcher Plus\Spell Catcher.exe

The application has requested the runtime to terminate it in an unusual way. Please contact the application's support team for more information.

** Runtime Library Referenced in Error: Microsoft Visual C++

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 02:29 PM

Hi...

I gather that this error occurs when you're launching Spell Catcher. Can you hold down the shift key before and during the launch to see some diagnostic text appear in the splash screen?

Can you let me know what the last text message is that displays before the dialog appears?

Also what version of XP are you running? You can determine this by bringing up the "Start" menu, clicking on "My Computer" with the right mouse button and selecting "Properties" from the menu that pops up. I'm using Windows XP, Home Edition, Service Pack 1.

Get back to me here,
Thanks,
John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows

#3 Interprises

Interprises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 06:12 PM

Hi, John - thanks for the quick reply.

The program seems to load all the modules, and I can see their progress when the SHIFT key is held down. The program just appears to be broken, even though the "check mark" is in the system tray. I can attempt to check spelling, and even though I have text highlighted, with obviously misspelled words, the program responds; no spelling errors in selected text. The error message I referenced in my original post pops-up when I try to select "Spell Catcher Settings." {By right-clicking on the checkmark in the system tray.}

Wish I had been more clear about the sequence in my first message, but hopefully I have done so, now.

Thanks again for your help. I really miss the program - apologies if I've misspelled anything.

BTW, this may help and could be related to the problem. At one time the program would interactively check most anything I typed, within Outlook Express. However, I disabled that feature a while back, because I didn't want that functionality. I can't be sure about this, but that might have been about the time things broke. Anyway, just trying to think of things that may help in the process.

Running: XP Home Version 2002, SP1

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 January 2004 - 07:17 PM

Hi,

My suggestion is that you exit Spell Catcher and search for all "Settings.4sc" files on your machine. This is where Spell Catcher keeps your settings.

You should only have one of these files, but may have two... in any case, delete these file(s) and try running Spell Catcher again.

Without any settings file to open, Spell Catcher will default to it's initial settings... in which everything should work pretty much as expected.

Let me know how that goes,
John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher Plus

#5 Interprises

Interprises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:40 AM

We're making progress, John! I found the settings file under Application Data/Spell Catcher Plus -- deleted it -- and now the program is recognizing spelling errors, again. It's also checking for errors, interactively, from within all recognized programs; IEXPLORE and WORDPAD at this point.

However, when I try to access/change settings (left-click and select Spell Catcher Settings), the original error message pops-up and the program terminates -- disappears from the system tray. But, as long as I don't do that, I can at least take advantage of the program's functionality. That's a welcome change.

Other than changing settings, the program seems to be working. If you want to continue debugging, until a total solution is found, then I'll be happy to follow your instructions. Otherwise, I'm just happy to have the primary function working, again, and I appreciate your help.

#6 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 11:14 AM

Glad to hear we're making some progress,

That's a very strange error message you initially reported. Are you still running version 2.5.0?

John

#7 Interprises

Interprises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 12:34 PM

Actually, I went back to; Spell Catcher™ Plus Version 2.1.4, but I can certainly re-install 2.5, if you'd like.

Would it help if I sent you my settings file?

#8 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 01:36 PM

Yes, do try out 2.5.0 again... I'd like to know if the error that you're seeing when you open the settings dialog happens in 2.5.0.

You may have to get the upgrade again from the following link:

www.rainmakerinc.com/dl/updates/SC_Plus_Update_250.exe

I don't need your settings file at this point, the settings file is not read before the settings dialog is displayed so that shouldn't be an issue... (What I may ask you to do is to ZIP your entire "Program Files/Spell Catcher Plus" folder and send it to me... can you do that?)

Please keep me informed,
Thanks,
John

#9 Interprises

Interprises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 January 2004 - 01:51 PM

Have it Zipped, just let me know where to send it, John. Also downloaded the Update (thanks for the link!), and I'll try to get it installed this afternoon. With the weekend approaching, I'm in that usual crunch. :)

#10 Interprises

Interprises

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 January 2004 - 04:17 PM

John, updating to version 2.5 broke it -- now, when loading the program I get the original "runtime" error message, so the program won't even load. Going back to earlier version, so I have some functionality.

I zipped both program folders -- the earlier version and the new version (2.5). Just let me know how you want them delivered.

#11 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 03 February 2004 - 12:39 PM

Hi,

Please contact me directly (through e-mail) and I'll send you an ftp site for you to upload the zip files so I can check out your installation.

Please mention this thread in your e-mail so I can relate the two...

NOTE TO ALL: If you're experiencing this problem please contact me directly at the e-mail address below... you don't have to have purchased to recieve help.

Thanks,
John
john_is_at_rainmakerinc.com

#12 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 July 2004 - 05:27 PM

NOTE TO ALL:

This bug has been found and fixed. The currently available version does not have this problem.

Thanks,
John Tytler, Author - Spell Catcher Plus