4 replies to this topic

#1 JGCROCKETT

JGCROCKETT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2004 - 12:20 PM

hi john,
this is your old guy trying to get a key.
I have the cd and I have installed the program spell checker.
Ok after some name problems I got my serial number.
I ASKED FOR A KEY AND THE E-MAIL THAT CAME BACK DID
NOT HAVE AN ATTACHMENT, IT HAD THE KEY WRITTEN OUT
ON THE E-MAIL. SO I COPIED BOTH THE ENTIRE E-MAIL AND ONLY
THE KEY TO MY DESKTOP. DOUBLED CLICKED THE DESK TOP AND THEN
COPIED BOTH THE E-MAIL AND THE KEY INTO THE SPELL CHECKER
FOLDER.
I STILL GET THE MESSAGE I ONLY HAVE 6 DAYS LEFT BEFORE I AM A DIRTY
RAT AND SPELL CHECKER GOES AWAY. YES I REBOOTED AFTER I PUT THE
E-MAIL INTO THE SPELL CHECKER FOLDER.
QUESTION: DO I LOSE SPELL CHECKER AFTER 6 DAYS OR DO I GET TO
KEEP AND YOU DO NOT HAVE TO REFUND MY MONEY??
I KNOW I AM A PAIN, BUT I AM OLD.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP.
JEFFREY G. CROCKETT

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 11:35 AM

Hi Jeff,

I'll get you fixed up. It's not really to hard to install a key. They are currently delivered in an e-mail as an attachment or embedded in the textual body of the e-mail. This second option was created for those whose mail servers strip off attachments.

I can see that you've requested keys sent to you both as an attachment and embedded in an e-mail.

I guess the problem with the current key delivery method is that it requires users to be familiar with the operations of e-mail, the concepts of file attachments, and how to save them onto their desktop.

You've given me your phone number in other e-mails so I'll try reaching you today to talk you through this procedure...

That's probably the best solution...

John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher Plus

#3 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 March 2004 - 05:46 PM

Got Jeff all fixed up... the key files he received were being saved from his e-mail server (AT&T) with an .HTML extension. So the keys were saved as:

SCW Key - 954260.sckey.html

Naturally, when he double-clicked them they launched a browser... not what was wanted. If the key file has a ".sckey" extension, then Spell Catcher will handle the double click and move the key into its folder, prompting you with a message to relaunch Spell Catcher to activate the key.

As an aside:

I think I'm going to add direct key delivery into Spell Catcher (as the basic means of installing a key). A few folks have gotten hung up on the key installation procedure - so this should make it even simpler.

John

#4 Gene

Gene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2004 - 08:31 PM

I believe that my problem is very similar, if not identical, to the one that was described by Jeffrey Crockett. Somewhere along the way your attachment is stripped away and I have tried to use the alternate process without any success. I even ordered a CD hoping that it would by pass the entire key issuance problem but no luck with that approach either.

Please help with more specific instructions on how to drop the alternate solution into the Spell Catcher folder with the correct file extension.

The product is great but this key registration and installation process leaves a bit to be desired...

Gene

#5 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 April 2004 - 02:09 PM

The next version of Spell Catcher is coming out this month (April).

It includes several new features and a much improved key request / installation procedure. This should alleviate problems that some people have been experiencing installing keys once they have been sent to them as an e-mail attachment.

Additionally, it seems some e-mail filters have been stripping keys of e-mail or blocking them entirely.

The improvements to the key installation procedure completely remove the use of e-mail from the loop.

John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows