• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nmotomura

nmotomura

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:29 AM

I have used Spell Catcher for more than 10 years since it had been Thunder7 in Mac user (Now I am Windows user). My serial No for Spell Catcher Plus for Windows is SCW-XXX-XXX-XXX-XXX. When I changed OS from Windows98 to Xp, the following trouble ocurred. When I type a word including "c", your program recognizes "c" as "space," and the suggestion window always pops up. For example, when I type "include," your program pops up the window suggesting that "lude" is incorrect. When "back" is typed, the window suggesting that "ba" is incorrect. When I type the letter "c" this always happens. As I was using version 2.0.0, I purchased new Spell Catcher Plus again today, but still it did not help at all. Can you resolve this problem? Thank you.

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 10:03 AM

Hi,

Sounds like you uninstalled your 2.0.0 version of Spell Catcher and then installed your new version - it should be 2.1.4. Please ensure that you are using Version 2.1.4 by checking the "About" dialog.

If you are still using 2.0.0 uninstall it and proceed with the installation of 2.1.4

NOTE: When uninstalling Spell Catcher will not remove any of the reference files that you have added to... so don't be worried that your learned words or expansions will be deleted.

The new installation may have a little trouble locating your modified references, especially if you install Spell Catcher on another drive, but you can always show Spell Catcher where they are.

Additional NOTE: I encourage all users to put their words and expansions in a separate file (rather than adding to supplied files), and give the newly created file a unique name like "John's Words" or "Mary's glossary"... this way you can more easily find the reference file should you need too.

=======

Concerning the issue of "c" being recognized as a space... I've bumped into this issue once before when Spell Catcher is installed on the Japanese version of Windows XP. So it does appear to be an issue.

Can you tell me if this problem still exists once you're sure to be running 2.1.4?
Also, can you try running "Check Selection" on some text to see if words like "back" are properly recognized?

Please get back to me here with this issue...

Thanks,
John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows

#3 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 06 October 2003 - 12:10 PM

Well,

Noboru and I finally tracked down the problem that the Spell Catcher was having with the Japanese version of XP. Something to do with the way non-ASCII characters are dealt with... (those byte characters in the range 0x80-0xff).

Spell Catcher considers the ®, ©, and ˘ characters to be separators, when the separator string was loaded on the Japanese OS, the © was translated into a ‘c’ causing any word containing the letter ‘c’ to be considered as two words...

Oh well, in case you’re wondering why it took so long to fix this problem... Noboru and I were only exchanging e-mails periodically. Normally it doesn’t take 3 months to fix something.

John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows