• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ElRay

ElRay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 09:42 AM

How do we report obvious omissions from the "Suggest Spelling" word list? For example, if I type "fustrating" the correct spelling "frustrating" doesn't appear in the list of suggestions. Interestingly, if I type "fustrate", the correct spelling is also missed, but "fustrated" and "fustration" both show the correct spelling.

Ray

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:37 AM

How do we report obvious omissions from the "Suggest Spelling" word list? For example, if I type "fustrating" the correct spelling "frustrating" doesn't appear in the list of suggestions. Interestingly, if I type "fustrate", the correct spelling is also missed, but "fustrated" and "fustration" both show the correct spelling.

Ray

This is the right place to report them.

Actually, this specific case isn't an omission in the word list - it's a failure of the typographic suggestion algorithm to come up with the suggestion that you are after (because "frustrating" IS in the spelling database - so it can't be an ommision). There are other cases like this that we've seen. It may well be impossible for the typo suggestion generator to come up with the correct (well, correct according to what a particular person meant to type but made a typo when doing so) suggestion in every single possible case (just think of the number of permutations of possible typos in a language with well over 100,000 words! :blink: ).

BUT, if you run across these, and it's a typo you regularly make, you can use the Spell Catcher X Custom Suggestion feature (Preferences -> Spelling -> Suggestions tab) to add your own customized suggestion for any given error. And that suggestion will always appear as the first in the list.

You can do this with the other products as well, though it is a bit more hidden. You add a word pair like "typo#correction" to a Learned Words file, and you get the same result.

Hope that helps! Feel free to report other things like this you might come across.