Photo

how to purchase an upgrade from SC8 to SCX?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 troutnc

troutnc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 01:45 PM

It would seem that the first order of business for SpellCatcher X would be an upgrade path for all the users of SC 8, but I do not find one. Meanwhile I am without SpellCatcher in X and looking for something to take its place. Something like SpellCatcher X; only I don't know how to get it without paying the new price, and I don't believe I should have to pay the new price.

#2 Guest_rriforumadmin_*

Guest_rriforumadmin_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:33 PM

It would seem that the first order of business for SpellCatcher X would be an upgrade path for all the users of SC 8, but I do not find one. Meanwhile I am without SpellCatcher in X and looking for something to take its place. Something like SpellCatcher X; only I don't know how to get it without paying the new price, and I don't believe I should have to pay the new price.

For the time being (and I can't even say for sure this will change) there is no way we can perform upgrades.

Reasons:

a) We do not have the infrastructure and necessary technology in place to actually perofrm this task. That entails setting up some sort of electronic/automatic verification of SC8 customers (which we do NOT have an entire list of from C&G - only those that bought electronically from their online store) on our online store, and then verifying those customers and allowing the proper number of upgrades per serial number (the upgrade price from C&G was only a $10 discount).

b) We can't afford to implement anything even remotely like a) right now. We never got paid for any of the copies of Spell Catcher X that shipped. We're running on borrowed everything at the moment.

c) It's a completely different product, for a completely different operation system, started totally from scratch, that took me a year and a half to implement. SC8 folks that bought from Casady & Greene had almost 6 months to upgrade their copies.

FOR NOW the above is true. We can't offer upgrade pricing simply because we don't have the technology in place to do so. We are looking at how to do this, it's not trivial. For now we have to stay afloat and make enough money to be able to provide services like this.

Sorry, but that's the harsh reality. Understand C&G was in the publishing business for 19 years and had all the pieces in place to do something like that. We've only been doing this for a couple of weeks, there are only two of us, and we haven't earned anything from our own creations is well over a half a year.

Evan Gross