• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 smw.mark

smw.mark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 09:35 AM

I am two days into my 15 day trial of Spell Catcher Plus for Windows. I am running Windows 2000 and Spell Catcher Plus 2.5.1.1.

I have created an entry into my shorthand glossary for a common typo I commit, "lighitng" instead of "lighting," along with several others.

When I am filling out fields that allow tabbing from one to the next, the auto-correction will make the "lighting" correction to the field that I am moving to, not to the field in which the error occurs. This only occurs when using an entry in my personal glossary, NOT when correcting entries in the US English Words to Correct glossary.

I am evaluating Spell Catcher Plus for my office, which will involve a number of computers. Before I can recommend this program for purchase, I need to know how Rainmaker deals with bug reports and turn-around times for fixes. The bug I've described occurs in Filemaker 6, but we would be using Spell Catcher Plus for all our applications.

Thanks.
Mark Ketteran
Scott M. Watson, Inc.

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 April 2004 - 10:00 AM

Great question Mark,

There are lots of settings in Spell Catcher - try opening the Settings dialog to take a look.

In this case there is a setting you can check that will fix this situation.

Open the settings dialog and go to the "Shorthand Expansions" panel. There, make sure that the “Type separator after performing expansions” checkbox is checked.

This will ensure that all expansions are performed BEFORE any tab, space, or return is processed. Perhaps this feature should be on by default.

A little further investigation on your part will reveal that all glossaries are treated equally. I think you’ll find that the US English Words to Correct glossary appeared to work correctly because you followed the expansion with a space.

Additionally, there is another setting that you may want to consider using when working with Filemaker, Excel, and other apps that employ field or cell related data entry.

Go to the Typing panel and select “Check field or cell before leaving”. If this feature is checked Spell Catcher won’t let you tab into another field until all detected errors have been corrected or accepted as is.

Thanks for your posting,
John Tytler - Author, Spell Catcher for Windows

If you want to try a pre-release of the next version please e-mail me for a link
john_isat_rainmakerinc_dot_com