• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Race

Race

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:04 AM

I'm trying to track down a mysterious error message, which so far seems to be related to SpellCatcher 8.1.2 (Mac) preferences. Anyone have more information on this?

Error message (I've typed it exactly as it shows, with angle brackets and square brackets): >EDC [11] #(1011) [Slot Lock]< System Aborted

Appears: in Internet Explorer (5.2) or Eudora (5.1.2).

Results of the error: there is an "OK" button on the error message, but clicking it simply brings up another one. 5 or 6 of these appear, and then they can no longer be dismissed. The mouse arrow still works, but no menus work, and neither can the front application be quit or force quit. A force quit quits SpellCatcher.

Also: disabling SpellCatcher (moving SpellCatcher to disabled extensions) APPEARS to solve the problem. I'm loathe to replace the preferences file, because there are at least 20 application-specific settings that I will have to re-create. It's wonderful to have so much control over SpellCatcher, but I sure wish that these settings were stored somewhere else besides in an easily corruptible preference file.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:16 PM

I'm trying to track down a mysterious error message, which so far seems to be related to SpellCatcher 8.1.2 (Mac) preferences. Anyone have more information on this?

Error message (I've typed it exactly as it shows, with angle brackets and square brackets): >EDC [11] #(1011) [Slot Lock]< System Aborted

Appears: in Internet Explorer (5.2) or Eudora (5.1.2).

Results of the error: there is an "OK" button on the error message, but clicking it simply brings up another one. 5 or 6 of these appear, and then they can no longer be dismissed. The mouse arrow still works, but no menus work, and neither can the front application be quit or force quit. A force quit quits SpellCatcher.

Also: disabling SpellCatcher (moving SpellCatcher to disabled extensions) APPEARS to solve the problem. I'm loathe to replace the preferences file, because there are at least 20 application-specific settings that I will have to re-create. It's wonderful to have so much control over SpellCatcher, but I sure wish that these settings were stored somewhere else besides in an easily corruptible preference file.

WOW! I've never, ever (and I've been doing this for 20 years) seen an error message even remotely like that!

It's most certainly not Spell Catcher generating it, in fact, I have no idea (it's not the OS, either) generating that sort of message, either.

I just did a Google search, and all the relevant results mentioned something to do with a tape backup drive.

What hardware is attached to your machine?

#3 Race

Race

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 01:38 AM

Evan, thank you SO MUCH for your reply! It is wonderful to have someone like you, a real expert, take a look at this problem.

It turns out that the problem didn't go away with Spell Catcher disabled. You're right (as so you should be, since you wrote Spell Catcher). Would you mind looking at this bit more information I have and see what you think?

I have no tape drives attached. The SCSI chain is PowerMac 9600/300 --> scanner --> CDRW. Never had any problems with this chain, and all still work fine.

But get a load of the other messages on this error box (the messages that come up after the first one):

"dtF default error handler: Code: 2401 Group: Transaction error. Desc: No transaction started."

"dtF default error handler: Code: 3f04. Group: Memory problems. Desc: Virtual memory main memory slots exhausted. Increase tag VMMEMSLOTS"

I checked Google too, and found nothing (except a programmer manual hit on the search term "VMMEMSLOTS" referring to database query). Nothing on Apple either. Could it relate to FileMaker? Or the Finder? I see there is a dtF folder in root level of preferences (running OS 8.6), and it has a temp file -- maybe corrupt?

Yeah, I am baffled to know what program is generating this error. If I could figure that out, I would have it licked.

And one other little note: I recently disabled Reaper, since I have so much RAM. I guess this is a memory problem, but "About This Computer" memory bars are all running great, and Memory Mapper shows no leaks or shortages or anything else.

Evan, if you have even a little hint about this, let me know. If not, that's okay too -- I know this is REALLY off topic!

Race