1 reply to this topic

#1 ccrossman

ccrossman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 09:37 AM

Evan,

My original installation of SC was working just fine. But then we moved to 10.2.4 (I think) that introduced an OS X bug that caused you and all of us logging on grief. SC would no longer automatically appear when starting up. So... you came up with a temporary fix that used a "dangerous" suggestion of carefully logging on as Root user, remember? Well since then SC has performed flawlessly.

But my question:

Is there any reason to worry about these newer releases of SC not working correctly because of that older past installation modification? I am now using 10.3.3 Panther. I did that root user mod back in 10.2.4. I then upgraded to 10.2.8 with no SC problems, then migrated to where I am now. So, anything I should do, or undo or worry about? I worry that it is a forgotten problem just LURKING there because it was done by a root user and will resurface someday when I apply one of your upgrades, because I didn't do anything to correct it to put it BACK!! Or... since I have upgraded to Panther, can I assume that all of that mess has gone away and I can consider what I have NOW as being a nice, safe "standard" installation?

Thanks!

:)

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 13 May 2004 - 07:27 PM

Evan,

My original installation of SC was working just  fine.  But then we moved to 10.2.4 (I think) that introduced an OS X bug that caused you and all of us logging on grief.  SC would no longer automatically appear when starting up.  So... you came up with a temporary fix that used a "dangerous" suggestion of carefully logging on as Root user, remember? Well since then SC has performed flawlessly. 

But my question: 

Is there any reason to worry about these newer releases of SC not working correctly because of that older past installation modification?  I am now using 10.3.3 Panther.  I did that root user mod back in 10.2.4.  I then upgraded to 10.2.8 with no SC problems, then migrated to where I am now.  So, anything I should do, or undo or worry about?  I worry that it is a forgotten problem just LURKING there because it was done by a root user and will resurface someday when I apply one of your upgrades, because I didn't do anything to correct it to put it BACK!!  Or... since I have upgraded to Panther, can I assume that all of that mess has gone away and I can consider what I have NOW as being a nice, safe "standard" installation?

Thanks!

:)

No reason to worry.

All that the "root user fix" did was copy a particular apple preference (plist) file to the root user's Preferences folder.

And if you've since upgraded the OS anyway, there's absolutely nothing to worry about as far as remnants of this particular fix.