• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy

jeremy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:50 PM

So I have "Mute All" selected, because I really don't like "event sounds". But what if I want a sound for just one SCX event? I'd like to, for example, set a sound for "Shorthand", but not have any other sounds at all.

However, when choosing a sound for each Error Type, there is no selection for "none".

Can we have this? Or is it there, and I've just managed to overlook it?

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 15 May 2004 - 07:55 PM

So I have "Mute All" selected, because I really don't like "event sounds".  But what if I want a sound for just one SCX event?  I'd like to, for example, set a sound for "Shorthand", but not have any other sounds at all.

However, when choosing a sound for each Error Type, there is no selection for "none".

Can we have this?  Or is it there, and I've just managed to overlook it?

Just set the volume to zero for all the alerts you don't want to hear a sound for.

#3 jeremy

jeremy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 03:49 PM

Dang. I had no idea the "volume" setting was individual for each alert. Thanks.

#4 Batmosphere

Batmosphere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:04 PM

I really don't like "event sounds".

I didn’t either. So I generated some new error sounds on the AT&T Speech synthesis site, converted them to AIFF files, popped them into my Home/Library/Sounds folder, and selected them in Spell Catcher. The “Rich” voice is especially motivating.

#5 paulc

paulc

Advanced Member

• Co-Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 12:08 PM

Ha, ya found one of my "tricks!" I especially like the female (Audrey) British voice.

I use a different entry point:

http://www.naturalvo...emos/index.html

here you can choose to have it generate the AIFF file directly, so no conversion is necessary.

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:10 PM

Ha, ya found one of my "tricks!" I especially like the female (Audrey) British voice.

I use a different entry point:

http://www.naturalvo...emos/index.html

here you can choose to have it generate the AIFF file directly, so no conversion is necessary.

Cool! Maybe I should turn on the ability to attach files so you can upload your favorites...

#7 paulc

paulc

Advanced Member

• Co-Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 11:39 AM

Sure, why not! Originally, I had these long, breathless alerts... but they got annoying so I went back to single words... but using a sexy British voice!

#8 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 03 June 2004 - 06:06 PM

Sure, why not! Originally, I had these long, breathless alerts... but they got annoying so I went back to single words... but using a sexy British voice!

Why not? Well, because we often run this place with about 6 free MB of disk space on our server account, that's why.

I've turned it on here in this forum - tell me if you can upload now. My admin account always has the option, tell me if you can now as well.

If not, I have to flip some other switch as well.

#9 paulc

paulc

Advanced Member

• Co-Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 11:16 AM

Well, that's a good reason, but there seems to be a lack of upload UI... at least in the "reply: function. I'll try a new topic... if you see it, it will have a sound attached, if you don't see it, I couldn't find a way to do it.

#10 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:03 PM

Well, that's a good reason, but there seems to be a lack of upload UI... at least in the "reply: function. I'll try a new topic... if you see it, it will have a sound attached, if you don't see it, I couldn't find a way to do it.

Ok, guess what I did wasn't enough. I turned on the upload permission mask for this forum. Might have to do something similar for the user/group permissions as well. More later...

#11 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 07:29 PM

Ok, try again, think I've got it.

#12 paulc

paulc

Advanced Member

• Co-Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 10:00 AM

Unless it's something I'm just not seeing but it's there, I still don't see any "file attach/upload" ability. My "expectations" would be that it's part of the "Post Options," but I have looked at the whole page (fast reply, advanced reply, new topic) and I'm just not seeing anything.

But this IS minor stuff compared to the program itself, so I don't want to "push" it!

#13 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 09 June 2004 - 04:26 AM

Unless it's something I'm just not seeing but it's there, I still don't see any "file attach/upload" ability. My "expectations" would be that it's part of the "Post Options," but I have looked at the whole page (fast reply, advanced reply, new topic) and I'm just not seeing anything.

But this IS minor stuff compared to the program itself, so I don't want to "push" it!

OK - I think I actually have it now. I logged in as a regular member (not admin) and saw the upload attachment button.

The step I missed was that I had to specify a non-zero maximum allowable upload size for the Members group (it's at 256K).

NOW try and see if you can get it to work. And let me know if that size is adequate...

#14 paulc

paulc

Advanced Member

• Co-Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 10:52 AM

Ah, maybe it'd because I'm in the "Co-Moderator" group? Still can't see any upload.

The size should be more than enough... just checked some of my sounds and I have a 5 second sentence (that is way too long to use) and it clocks in as a 168K AIFF.

#15 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 10 June 2004 - 07:44 PM

Ah, maybe it'd because I'm in the "Co-Moderator" group? Still can't see any upload.

The size should be more than enough... just checked some of my sounds and I have a 5 second sentence (that is way too long to use) and it clocks in as a 168K AIFF.

Ok, a dozen attempts later, and NOW maybe you can upload them?

Correct about the co-moderator group thing.

#16 paulc

paulc

Advanced Member

• Co-Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 10:50 AM

Hooray... now I'm seeing the UI!

Sorry, I really didn't mean to have you spend so much time on this one... but I supposed there is some value in a general ability to attach things like crash logs etc.

Anyway, here is my "misspelled" alert sound...

damn... I do the file attach, the path is correct (used browse), hit "Add Reply" and it simply re-loads the page with the message but no path in File Attachment.

#17 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 11 June 2004 - 06:44 PM

Hooray... now I'm seeing the UI!

Sorry, I really didn't mean to have you spend so much time on this one... but I supposed there is some value in a general ability to attach things like crash logs etc.

Anyway, here is my "misspelled" alert sound...

damn... I do the file attach, the path is correct (used browse), hit "Add Reply" and it simply re-loads the page with the message but no path in File Attachment.

Man oh man, what a hassle.

Back to the admin page. I seem to recall something about allowable file extensions, but I thought that was for embedded images, not for other attachments.

I take it you're trying to attach a .aiff file. I'll test it out first this time.

---

Well, seems to work ok - just uploaded the standard system "glass" sound (this is nothing special folks, no need to download it - it's in your /System/Library/Sounds folder already - just a test).

What browser are you using? This was uploaded with Safari.

Attached Files

#18 paulc

paulc

Advanced Member

• Co-Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 03:19 PM

Lemme give it another shot...

Ah, this time I get:

THE FOLLOWING ERROR(S) WERE FOUND
You cannot upload this type of file

Maybe it was too many characters in the filename... let's try shorter...

same message.

Using Camino... I know I've had successful uploads from a web form.

Not that big a deal at all... I feel like I'm sucking up way too much of your time!

#19 Batmosphere

Batmosphere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:54 AM

Here’s my capitalization error sound, courtesy of the AT&T Speech Synthesizer.

—David

Attached Files

#20 Batmosphere

Batmosphere

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 June 2004 - 01:56 AM

...and a punctuation error sound.

Attached Files