• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sbr

sbr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 10:53 AM

Spell Catcher offers an HTML Terms dictionary to allow to check the spelling of documents that contain both the text-to-be-checked and HTML tags. I'd like to set-up a similar dictionary for LaTeX typesetter source text, where I have tags such as "\chapter{chapter heading}" (without the quotes). Can I "teach" Spell Catcher to accept 1) a backslash "\ as part of a term in the corresponding dictionary, and 2) to break words at "{" and "}"?

Besides not accepting the backslash when entering terms in my new LeTeX disctionary (which actually would be a minor problem which I can work around, though), Spell Catcher comes up with terms not found such as "chapter{chapter" (using the above example).

Thanks.

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 30 August 2004 - 08:15 PM

Spell Catcher offers an HTML Terms dictionary to allow to check the spelling of documents that contain both the text-to-be-checked and HTML tags. I'd like to set-up a similar dictionary for LaTeX typesetter source text, where I have tags such as "\chapter{chapter heading}" (without the quotes). Can I "teach" Spell Catcher to accept 1) a backslash "\ as part of a term in the corresponding dictionary, and 2) to break words at "{" and "}"?

Besides not accepting the backslash when entering terms in my new LeTeX disctionary (which actually would be a minor problem which I can work around, though), Spell Catcher comes up with terms not found such as "chapter{chapter" (using the above example).

Thanks.

I'll look into this. I'm not positive whether you can tweak enough things with the 10.1.3 version to get what you need.

I'll make sure it's possible in 10.2 though - you aren't the first to request this.

#3 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 09 September 2004 - 11:02 PM

<snip>

2) to break words at "{" and "}"?

Try this, see if it at least helps somewhat:

1. Probably best to choose a keyboard layout and Quit the Spell Catcher application. You probably don't have to log out, but you never know...
2. Open the com.rainmaker.SpellCatcher.plist file that's in your home ~/Library/Preferences directory (best if you have PropertyListEditor, but if you don't have Apple's developer tools installed TextEdit will generally do as well).
3. Find the "SCExtraWordSeparatorChars" key. It will normally have a string value of "<>=".
4. Modify this value to include the braces - so "<>={}".
5. Save the plist file, fire up Spell Catcher, see if that helps.

Let me know the results...

#4 sbr

sbr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 September 2004 - 04:30 AM

That worked to get the words (text and LaTeX commands) properly separated. (I also added "[" and "]" as separators, used for options in LaTeX). Then, to build a dictionary with the LaTeX commands and terms was easy with Spell Catchers "learn" command, as will be adding new ones as I go. And it turns out that it's not a problem that I cannot enter the backslash "\" as part of the LaTeX terms (eg. with "\chapter"): if the command is a normal English term, such as "chapter," it will not be flagged as error anyway, and if it's not an English term, such as "emph," I just add it to my LaTeX dictionary.

Result: Spell Catcher works nicely for my LaTeX documents!

Thanks for your support.

#5 delos

delos

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:14 AM

Im interested in obtaining the same result: creating a personal LaTeX terms dictionary for spell Catcher X. Should I presume that this work around is suitable for the latest version of spell catcher X (10.3.4)?
Greetings
delos