• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Rob

Rob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 03:25 PM

I'm a relatively new user and am really happy with my experience with SC so far.

I usually work with two or three different languages in the same document (for word processing, taking notes...) and have a few questions.

What's the best way to use the spell checking function of Spell Catcher when working with multiple languages?

Do I have to manually switch from my default language to the languages, e.g. Spanish, when Spell Catcher thinks its found an error? Is there a way to automatize this? Or combine spelling dictionaries?

Thanks

Rob

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:17 PM

I'm a relatively new user and am really happy with my experience with SC so far. 

I usually work with two or three different languages in the same document (for word processing, taking notes...) and have a few questions. 

What's the best way to use the spell checking function of Spell Catcher when working with multiple languages? 

Do I have to manually switch from my default language to the languages, e.g. Spanish, when Spell Catcher thinks its found an error?  Is there a way to automatize this?  Or combine spelling dictionaries? 

Thanks

Rob

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a good question...but it does kind of depend on which Spell Catcher product you're using, and whether you are primarily using interactive (as-you-type) checking, or Check Selection.

In Spell Catcher X, there is a preference (Spelling pane, Check Selection tab) to try to automatically determine the language for each paragraph. While certainly not foolproof, as long as there are enough words in a paragraph is does a reasonable job. Once determined, the language will automatically change as you progress through the document (or select an error in a particular paragraph). In other words, the language chosen "sticks" to a paragraph unless you otherwise override it.

For interactive checking, or for Check Selection in the other Spell Catcher products, it's not so simple. You pretty much do have to manually switch languages.

Some other hints:

You can assign multiple languages to Learned Words and Shorthand Glossary documents in Spell Catcher X. You can configure a Learned Words or Shorthand Glossary to work with any language (in all Spell Catcher products).

In Spell Catcher X you can assign keyboard shortcuts to switch languages during interactive checking. I don't think this can be done with Spell Catcher 8 or Spell Catcher Plus.

There is currently no way to use more than one spelling database language at once. While technically possible, it's not something we have implemented to date.

Hope that helps, if you need more hints or have trouble with the above, let us know which product you're using so we can be more specific.