• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 neilio

neilio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 01 October 2004 - 05:29 PM

Would it be possible (or is it possible now) to define shorthands that only expand in a certain application? For example, I often need to type "Path Finder" (I do design consulting for the company that makes Path Finder), and have "pf" defined as a shorthand.

But, in Omniweb and Firefox I have a shortcut search string for searching the Pitchforkmedia.com site, and it's shortcut is "pf" also, which automatically expands to Path Finder.

I know I could just define a different shortcut or shorthand, but I wanted to know if this was doable, anyway...

Thanks!

Neil

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 01 October 2004 - 08:20 PM

Would it be possible (or is it possible now) to define shorthands that only expand in a certain application? For example, I often need to type "Path Finder" (I do design consulting for the company that makes Path Finder), and have "pf" defined as a shorthand.

But, in Omniweb and Firefox I have a shortcut search string for searching the Pitchforkmedia.com site, and it's shortcut is "pf" also, which automatically expands to Path Finder.

I know I could just define a different shortcut or shorthand, but I wanted to know if this was doable, anyway...

Thanks!

Neil

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to say, this isn't currently possible (or likely to be in the near future). While Spell Catcher 8 had this feature, the manner in which Spell Catcher X is "stitched into" the OS precludes this (mainly because of integration with the OS X Spelling Panel, but for other reasons as well).

There is some hope - I think (even with the current limited AppleScript support), it's possible to write a small AppleScript that changes the "Used" state of a Shorthand Glossary document. So when you switch apps, you could run a small script applet to change your used Shorthand Glossary document(s).

Theoretically, at least. I haven't tried it in a while.