• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Rotnfire

Rotnfire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:03 AM

I have just installed Spell checker 2.5.3 on my tablet PC running Windows XP Tablet edition SP2, and I do not get any popups if entering text via handwriting recognition. If I use a keyboard, no problem, but it doesn't seem to monitor text entry, if the text has been derived from handwriting recognition. I am only inputting in a text box, but still, nothing happens. If I make the same mistakes with a keyboard, then I do get the corrections, but not if handwriting. Am I missing something? Does anyone have any suggestions?

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

Thank you for this posting...

A doctor in Nevada (I think) was also trying to get Spell Catcher to work with a tablet PC - he had no luck either and ended up requesting a refund.

My guess is that characters ďrecognizedĒ through handwriting analysis bypass the keyboard input queue totally - meaning Spell Catcher never has a chance to see what youíre typing - hence no typos while handwriting on the tablet.

Either that, or the software that drives the tablet isnít sharing the simulated keyboard events that it may be generating as a result of your handwriting with Spell Catcher.

So, itís one of these two issues that is cutting Spell Catcher out of the loop. I donít have time at present to investigate this further as a new beta is in the works. To proceed further Iíd have to chat with someone familiar with the technical operations of a Tablet PC.

Can someone reading this thread help out?

Thanks,
John Tytler,
Author - Spell Catcher for Windows

#3 bmhome1

bmhome1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 03:42 PM

John,

I just got my Windows system, a Tablet PC. I have been a long user of SC in Mac OSX and missed it in Windows. My trial works great except for one major flaw for me, I can't get SCP to Interactive with Internet Explorer, it works with all other keyboard apps, works with AOL mail within IE but not to posts written such as this in web forums. Any suggestions? I checkmarked the EXPLORER option box and iEXPLORE is listed in apps list for SC.

I would be willing to help out getting SCP working with tablet hand writing apps, I'm getting One-Note this week and will try that for recognition. I also have resources for tech help.

Bruce

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 10:17 AM

John,

I just got my Windows system, a Tablet PC.  I have been a long user of SC in Mac OSX and missed it in Windows.  My trial works great except for one major flaw for me, I can't get SCP to Interactive with Internet Explorer, it works with all other keyboard apps, works with AOL mail within IE but not to posts written such as this in web forums.  Any suggestions?  I checkmarked the EXPLORER option box and iEXPLORE is listed in apps list for SC.

I would be willing to help out getting SCP working with tablet hand writing apps, I'm getting One-Note this week and will try that for recognition.  I also have resources for tech help.

Bruce

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is very strange - Spell Catcher has detected that youíve been typing in Internet Explorer yet it doesnít or isnít able to check for typos. And, Spell Catcher works with your other applications - like MS Word, Excel, WordPad, and your mail program?

Try removing IEXPLORE from the applications list and see if Spell Catcher rediscovers it as you are typing with IE.

Additionally, you could try installing a beta for upcoming version 2.6.0. You can get the beta from the following page:

http://www.rainmaker..._beta/news.html

John

#5 bmhome1

bmhome1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:05 PM

John,

I uninstalled SC demo, hand deleted any and all files named for SC left behind and ran Registry Mechanic twice to remove all traces of SC references to try again totally clean. But I see that learned words from the demo were added back after the reinstall, so there are still reference files left over.

I installed the demo and beta updater with the same results: MS Word gets asked and referenced and working upon launch, AOL WITHIN IE gets asked to add and works, but in IE itself, never a dialog request to add it when first run, in settings iEXPLORE shows up but never gets added to list no matter what I try now. The first demo install would at least list iEXPLORE in the applications list, but no more.

I've selected and unselected the run in Explorer option (which never gets fully explained what exactly it does in help). I've tried everything I can possibly think of (restarting, enabling again, etc) with no results. If I select text in an IE window (such as here) I can check the spelling and get right response, but Interactive checking refuses to function in just IE.

I never have run SC in tablet mode, just as normal laptop mode, I have a generic SP2 Windows Tablet 2005 install with generic Norton Anti-virus, Zone Alarm, Ad Aware, MS Antispyware beta, and common-sense firewall and protection settings running, certainly nothing I should disable to get SC to work in IE. Nothing on my OS not running well otherwise, not a trace of virus or adware/malware present, IE working well otherwise.

Any suggestions what to try next? I really would like SC running in IE.

Bruce

#6 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:11 AM

Hi Bruce,

All I can think is that there may be some kind of Antispyware running on your machine that may be blocking Spell Catcher from getting keystrokes when you are typing into IE.

I can send you a module which will let you see the characters that Spell Catcher is recording as you type. This will at least let you know if Spell Catcher is getting anything while you are working with IE.

Otherwise, Spell Catcher doesnít do anything special to accommodate IE.

The EXPLORER feature youíve been mentioning allows you to disable Spell Catcher within the Desktop, so it isnít active when you are renaming files for instance. It has no effect on IE.

At this point Iím sure that youíve already tried exiting and relaunching Spell Catcher after IE has been running. This puts Spell Catcher at the front of the keyboard hook chain.

E-mail me at the address below and Iíll send you the module so you can see what characters Spell Catcher is seeing as you are typing. At least that way we can determine if Spell Catcher is or isnít getting keystrokes while youíre in IE.

My suspicion is that Spell Catcher isnít seeing anything while youíre typing into IE.

John Tytler
john_isat_rainmakerinc.com

#7 bmhome1

bmhome1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:36 PM

John was very helpful with my issue. We resolved it partially with my switching over to Firefox which I have been wanting to do with all the IE security issues. Firefox works beautifully, imports ALL IE data and bookmarks seamlessly. And Spell Catcher Plus works well with it.

#8 bmhome1

bmhome1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 10:48 PM

I'm VERY pleased to report that new version 3.0 seemed to have resolved Spell Catcher becoming fully functional inside Internet Explorer for me.

#9 catseyes

catseyes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Thank you for this posting...

A doctor in Nevada (I think) was also trying to get Spell Catcher to work with a tablet PC - he had no luck either and ended up requesting a refund.

My guess is that characters ďrecognizedĒ through handwriting analysis bypass the keyboard input queue totally - meaning Spell Catcher never has a chance to see what youíre typing - hence no typos while handwriting on the tablet.

Either that, or the software that drives the tablet isnít sharing the simulated keyboard events that it may be generating as a result of your handwriting with Spell Catcher.

So, itís one of these two issues that is cutting Spell Catcher out of the loop. I donít have time at present to investigate this further as a new beta is in the works. To proceed further Iíd have to chat with someone familiar with the technical operations of a Tablet PC.

Can someone reading this thread help out?

Thanks,
John Tytler,

Hello. Did you ever find a solution to the Compatability with tablet pc issue? I have EXACTLY thesame problem that it won't check written text via the imput panel. Is there any way round this/ can you check text after it has been entered?

#10 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 04:18 PM

Hi,

I think you should be able to select any text that has already been entered and have it checked using Spell Catcher's Check Selection feature.

I don't have a Tablet PC here, so I'm not able to test Spell Catcher on that platform.

As far as I know, Spell Catcher's interactive checking feature only works with text that is input using a keyboard. I don't expect any change here soon.

If you care to do some more investigation to further clarify Spell Catcher's abilities on a Tablet PC, let me know your findings.

Someday I'll get my hands on a tablet and see for myself, meanwhile there's too much else to do.

Thanks for asking,
John Tytler
Author - Spell Catcher Plus

#11 catseyes

catseyes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 05:02 PM

Hi,

I think you should be able to select any text that has already been entered and have it checked using Spell Catcher's Check Selection feature.

I don't have a Tablet PC here, so I'm not able to test Spell Catcher on that platform.

As far as I know, Spell Catcher's interactive checking feature only works with text that is input using a keyboard. I don't expect any change here soon.

Ok..... Many thanks for letting me know ..... I will see if I come up with anything after having an invesigate ...... if I do I'll let you know! Would be a GREAT facility to have... :o)
If you care to do some more investigation to further clarify Spell Catcher's abilities on a Tablet PC, let me know your findings.

Someday I'll get my hands on a tablet and see for myself, meanwhile there's too much else to do.

Thanks for asking,
John Tytler

#12 Ben

Ben

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 03:28 AM

Hi,

Thanks for asking,
John Tytler

I have the same problem with my tablet, using the built-in input panel ( handwriting recognition) and with FITALY or MessagEase on-screen keyboards. Too bad, since phrase completion would greatly leverage these. I've sent an inquiry to the latter group whether they can make a setting to simulate keystrokes, but I'll be surprised if they can. In Visual Basic there is a way to send keystrokes rather than having text just be concatenated, but it's a less desirable method.

Tablets are great, and your phrase completion would be a hot item if you could make it work. I have tried about 10 phrase completion products, and yours is the best.

One minor glitch-I could not select my phrase with a number, only by mouse. This was using my keyboard. Selecting spelling corrections worked by number, just not phrases. Any thoughts on that topic are appreciated. Ben