#1 macman

macman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:51 PM

Hi Evan, and Happy New Year!

Long time no talk... :-)

I’ve been playing with SC 10.2 for a couple of hours now, and love the new features.
Especially, the NEW popup menus. Man, I’ve waited for this exquisite feature for years—very, very, very sweet, indeed! Outstanding job! Many, many, many thanks...

That said, I was somewhat disappointed that 10.2 still doesn’t support contextual menus. Is there a reason for this? Seems like a simple addition (to me, but then I’m not a programmer) that could benefic a lot of people using the app. IMO, its the one elusive feature that keeps SC 10.2 from earning top marks in my books.

Thanks a bunch for a tremendous and outstanding product. I couldn’t live without it!

Cheers, and all the best in 2005.

macman

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 06 January 2005 - 03:18 PM

Hi Evan, and Happy New Year!

Long time no talk... :-)

I’ve been playing with SC 10.2 for a couple of hours now, and love the new features.
Especially, the NEW popup menus. Man, I’ve waited for this exquisite feature for years—very, very, very sweet, indeed! Outstanding job! Many, many, many thanks...

That said, I was somewhat disappointed that 10.2 still doesn’t support contextual menus. Is there a reason for this? Seems like a simple addition (to me, but then I’m not a programmer) that could benefic a lot of people using the app. IMO, its the one elusive feature that keeps SC 10.2 from earning top marks in my books.

Thanks a bunch for a tremendous and outstanding product. I couldn’t live without it!

Cheers, and all the best in 2005.

macman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only reason there's no CM plug-in is because I just still haven't had the time to create one.

It's still on the to-do list. Haven't I done enough in the last few months? ;)

#3 macman

macman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 04:41 PM

“Haven't I done enough in the last few months”

LOL!... Nice to see you still have a sense of humor after ALL those sleepless nights... ;-)

Fair enough! We’ll let you catch up on your sleep for a couple of weeks before we hound you again... <ducking for cover>

How are you planning to implement CM’s, Evan?

Some programer’s make the unruly mistake of foisting EVERY feature into their CM (CopyPaste, for example) and the results are chaotic, at best. Would it be possible to have a pref pane from which you could select the features you would want to show up in the CM? My main one would be the ‘Lookup’ command. Next, the ‘Modify Selection.’

BTW—do you know if its possible to install (and if its available anywhere) a ‘Select All’ CM command that would work universally (all apps)? Man, I’d sure like to get a hold of that command in a CM.

Best,
macman

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 08:04 PM

“Haven't I done enough in the last few months”

LOL!... Nice to see you still have a sense of humor after ALL those sleepless nights... ;-)

Fair enough! We’ll let you catch up on your sleep for a couple of weeks before we hound you again... <ducking for cover>

How are you planning to implement CM’s, Evan?

Some programer’s make the unruly mistake of foisting EVERY feature into their CM (CopyPaste, for example) and the results are chaotic, at best. Would it be possible to have a pref pane from which you could select the features you would want to show up in the CM? My main one would be the ‘Lookup’ command. Next, the ‘Modify Selection.’

BTW—do you know if its possible to install (and if its available anywhere) a ‘Select All’ CM command that would work universally (all apps)? Man, I’d sure like to get a hold of that command in a CM.

Best,
macman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Give us your ideas and vision of what you would consider perfection. I really haven't had a whole lot of time to think about it...

#5 macman

macman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 January 2005 - 01:31 AM

Evan,

I did give you some ideas in my last post. Are those not acceptable, or am I shooting for too much?

Anyway, I'll let you get some well-earned rest—the CMs can wait for a bit. In the meantime, I’ll continue to explore and enjoy your latest creation. Thanks again for your valued efforts.

BTW—I believe that I mentioned this to you before, but just in case you’ve forgotten or are still interested, I’d be more then willing to offer my service's for Beta Testing. Especially, over the next few months... Spell Catcher is utilized here dozens of times a day.

Best,
macman

#6 Long Writer

Long Writer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:47 AM

I'm not sure if this fits into the contextual menu topic but...

I would love to see a right click dictionary look up. I know that you can look up a word by merely going to the menu bar, but right clicking is so much more convenient while immersed in an article. This is a feature that I've had difficulty finding in dictionary software (Ultrlingua is the only one I found, but it only worked in certain apps). I'm using the trial of SpellChecker now, and would be willing to purchase solely for a right click word look-up.

#7 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 08 January 2005 - 09:19 PM

I'm not sure if this fits into the contextual menu topic but...

I would love to see a right click dictionary look up. I know that you can look up a word by merely going to the menu bar, but right clicking is so much more convenient while immersed in an article. This is a feature that I've had difficulty finding in dictionary software (Ultrlingua is the only one I found, but it only worked in certain apps). I'm using the trial of SpellChecker now, and would be willing to purchase solely for a right click word look-up.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is an input manager-type 3rd party add-on that will put the contents of the Services menu in every contextual menu in all Cocoa apps. Not sure if that would help you.

But I absolutely understand what you want - I've been kind of busy, though.

Why not just define a very convenient keyboard shortcut for the Look Up command in the input menu and use that? Then you don't even have to reach for the mouse...

#8 Long Writer

Long Writer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:39 PM

Thanks Evan!

I'll try a keyboard shortcut and see how it works out (I've never been a keyboard shortcut kinda guy, but I'll give it a shot.)