• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jeremy

jeremy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 09:08 AM

So the pop-up suggestion thing is pretty cool. I never used auto-show suggestions before, but now it's not annoying anymore and I've got it turned on.

And so there's this other thing where it'll auto-show completions. This could also be pretty cool, except that it does get annoying, with the thing always popping up. The pop-up list of suggestions lets you set a delay on it. How about a delay on the completion pop-up, too? Separate from the suggestions one. I think that would rule.

(Man oh man, the Javascript on this forum posting page that captures control-keys is really, really annoying when you're used to Cocoa text editing keybindings.)

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:36 PM

I'll take a look, probably not that hard to do - just more UI and more preferences.

What if you just set the number of characters to automatically show completions to a larger number?

#3 jeremy

jeremy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

What if you just set the number of characters to automatically show completions to a larger number?

Well, it's not a matter of whether I want it to display, but when. 3 characters is about right, but I only want it to show up if I pause my typing for a moment (like, if I'm trying to think of what I wanted to type, or whatever). If I'm continuing on my merry way I'd like it not to appear at all.

I had the same thought, but increasing the number of characters doesn't really do it. It doesn't appear when I want it to, but does appear when I don't want it to.

Ironically, I tried the delay on the suggest-spelling pop-up, and liked it better with no delay at all. So I can have the delay right where I don't want it, but not where I do. :)

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:56 PM

Ironically, I tried the delay on the suggest-spelling pop-up, and liked it better with no delay at all.  So I can have the delay right where I don't want it, but not where I do. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, it's hard to anticipate what's going to work for everyone. This seems like it wouldn't be hard to implement, perhaps for the next pre-release input method I can add the delay/fade in behavior for completion as well. There wouldn't be any UI in the Preferences to control it, but you'd be able to use defaults write or edit the plist file to set the prefs for it.

#5 jeremy

jeremy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 03:23 AM

Well, it's hard to anticipate what's going to work for everyone. This seems like it wouldn't be hard to implement, perhaps for the next pre-release input method I can add the delay/fade in behavior for completion as well. There wouldn't be any UI in the Preferences to control it, but you'd be able to use defaults write or edit the plist file to set the prefs for it.

Works for me! Thanks.

#6 jeremy

jeremy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:05 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did this make it into the new release, by any chance?

#7 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:49 PM

I promise you that I did take a good, hard look at this. But it wasn't going to be so easy for a couple of different reasons. Then Tiger came along, and I had to do a whole bunch of testing (and spent probably most of the last two months not working on SC per-se, but diagnosing and filing bug reports that affected SC in various ways), and a certain amount of tweaking for SCX 10.2.1.

So sorry to say, I couldn't finish your request. I DID remember all about it, took about a whole day to look at what I could do, but ultimately decided it would be quite tricky (sometimes you just don't know until you get in there and try) and other stuff had to take priority.

Hopefully the next one...

#8 jeremy

jeremy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:30 PM

Hey, no problem, and thanks for looking at it. I do understand the dilemma, as a programmer myself (though not a Mac programmer), and I do understand about the bug reports, since Tiger certainly seems to have more than its share of bugs. :(