• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pendyman

pendyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 12:59 AM

Iíve posted about this issue before, and was told to uncheck all Word auto functions, and I did that, at least I think I did, but Spell Catcher and Word still do not play nice.

What Iíve learned is that when I hear the alert signal from Spell Catcher, if I let the program make the correction right away there is no problem. However, if itís a couple of sentences back, Spell Catcher almost NEVER makes the correction properly. The original word is still misspelled, and often worse than before. It just happened again, for the millionth time. I finally decided I have to mention it again.

Am I the only one who experiences this problem?

Spell Catcher 10.1.3, Mac OS X 10.3.7, Word 10.1.4

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 20 January 2005 - 02:28 AM

Can you isolate this a little more? You say it's ok if you correct right away, but not for "a couple sentences back". Tell me if it's ok for (say) 2 words back, but not 10 words back, or not x words back if there's a return or section break or image or other sort of formatting that's in-between the insertion point and the word to be corrected.

Does it appear that it's not backspacing far enough? Or too far?

I actually don't know of anything that would cause this EXCEPT for some sort of change made to what you typed by Word that can't be seen by SCX. You say you turned off all auto functions - there are quite a few of them. Word will do things like capitalize the first word on a line, adjust punctuation in certain languages, and other things that aren't the basic autotext and autotype functions.

This actually isn't something I'm aware of, it might be an idea to upgrade to SCX 10.2, however there's really nothing in there to address an issue like this one because, well, it's not one I'm aware of that needed fixing.

Double-check your word settings again, if you can find a reproducible case that involves shorter sequences of text, look very closely at what Word is doing to what you type to see if it is somehow modifying it behind your back.

#3 pendyman

pendyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:16 AM

Sorry I havenít responded earlier, but Iíve been busy, which is partly why I havenít mentioned this problem in the past. I still havenít been able to isolate the situation entirely.

I have been able to reproduce it every time in the document it originally showed up in, but when I created a new word document with no formatting, the problem didnít occur.

The only formatting in the problem document is an indented paragraph setting, a particular font, and color.

The error occurs about 35 words back, and in a previous paragraph. Is there is a way to send a screen shot? I can do that.

Again, apologies for not having time to do more testing. I will attempt to do so in the next few days, and post the results.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:07 AM

If you can reproduce the problem at will with a particular document, it's better to send the document (to our feedback address) than a screen shot.

Let me know what you discover.

#5 pendyman

pendyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 11:16 AM

If you can reproduce the problem at will with a particular document, it's better to send the document (to our feedback address) than a screen shot.

Let me know what you discover.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It just did it again. I had to correct multiple words, and the first couple of occasions, near where I was currently typing, it worked fine, but when it went to correct a word about forty words up in the previous paragraph, it stopped one character short, and left the word misspelled.

I read the message about sending the document. The problem is, itís my diary, and Iím kind of reluctant to send it. Not that I have any giant secrets in it, but you will see what a dork I am. :blink:

What I will do is copy the document and see if I can recreate the error on some other text.

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:59 PM

It sounds like it must be related to some inter-paragraph separator character or break or something like that. Might be that it takes *two* backspaces to delete instead of one, or else Spell Catcher simply isn't seeing some character you type after the error word. Hence the one-backspace-shy problem.

Trying showing invisible characters, that may help figure this out.

#7 pendyman

pendyman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 07:26 PM

Hi Evan.

I am sending a document in which the problem came up. Just wanted to give you a heads up here.

Thanks,

James T. Pendergrast

#8 rakins2

rakins2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

I have found it necessary to switch to MS Word from Apple Pages. I am used to misspelled words being hi lighted in Red, missing Caps in purple etc. then click on the red block and drop down of suggestions. This feature is wonderful for us careless typer. I hear the voice (I have it set to say curious] when I misspell and it is underlined in red but the big blocks of color are so much easier to see. In pages it works great.

I can not figure out how to turn this on in Word.

Help Please