3 replies to this topic

#1 mak2204

mak2204

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 06:34 PM

hi
I am having a problem with adding a shorthand in spell catcher. I'm trying to add "U" to come up as "you" it works in the us English, but not in the UK English "U" seems to come up as capital "U" I've checked in the Uk English settings and it doesnt have a shorthand for "U" to show up as capital "U" even after adding "U" to show up as "you" I'm still not having any luck... Please help
Thanks
MAK

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

Thanks for your post... this is an easy question to solve.

The reason that your expansion works in US English and not UK English is because (for some reason), the letter U is defined as a Word in the UK English Main Spellings reference.

There are several things you can do to get your Us expanding to you in UK English.

Try any ONE of the following:

1) Open Spell Catcher's Settings dialog and go to the Shorthand Expansions panel. Make sure that Expand Duplicates is checked.

- else -

2) You can effectively remove the letter U from your UK reference by adding the letter u to the UK English Omitted Words file found in the References panel in the Settings dialog.

Either of these approaches will work. My suggestion is to try the first.

Let me know how it goes,
John Tytler,
Author - Spell Catcher Plus

#3 ian

ian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 08:10 AM

2) You can effectively remove the letter U from your UK reference by adding the letter u to the UK English Omitted Words file found in the References panel in the Settings dialog.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

this topic has interested me.
So I tried option 1, it didn't work

however, I got it to work in option 2.

#4 mak2204

mak2204

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 03:55 PM

Yeah, didn't try option 1, but option 2 diffidently works