• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cormullion

cormullion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:06 AM

Just started checking out SpellCatcher. (It's great!) I'm just finding my way around the application (and the forum and documentation), so please forgive these questions if the answers are obvious...

How do I type a word that's got a number in it (when the number of characters I've typed exceeds the auto-suggest threshold?

Does SpellCatcher do any automatic learning, or has it all got to be done with a trigger?

thanks!

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:39 AM

Which product are you using? Spell Catcher for OSX, or for Windows?

John

#3 cormullion

cormullion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:44 AM

Which product are you using? Spell Catcher for OSX, or for Windows?

John

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, sorry, I thought the questions would be platform-neutral... :-)

This is the OS X version.

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:00 PM

Yes, this question is platform neutral, though the answer could be platform specific.

Getting to your question... an easy way to be able to enter a number instead of having it select a choice from the popup list, is to press the ESC key before pressing the number, or by pressing the left arrow key followed by the right arrow key, then entering the number you want.

Either method should work... pressing the ESC key causes Spell Catcher or ignore the just detected typo (double word, etc.), and using the left & right arrow key sequence causes Spell Catcher to dump its record of recently typed words. Obviously, the second suggestion is a little more drastic than just presssing the ESC key.

Question #2:
Currently the Mac version doesnít do any automatic learning of your phrases. The new windows version has this capability and it will be coming to the Mac version in an upcoming release... but thatís a while off.

John

#5 cormullion

cormullion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:45 PM

Thanks - I'm with it now.

By the way, does the Mac version usually lag behind the Windows version in features a lot, or just occasionally, or is it the case that Mac and Windows versions vary in this regard? Just wondering, really - I find this with the likes of Adobe and co. (although not Microsoft ;-)), and generally prefer Mac-only software products partly for that reason. I'm happy to be enlightened though!

#6 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:22 PM

Hi,

As far as feature development goes, Evan and I confer with each other and contribute to each others efforts. We donít develop features simultaneously; however, new features that become popular on one platform are usually added to the other ASAP (the last P means Practical).

Thanks for asking,
John

#7 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 01 March 2005 - 08:36 PM

How do I type a word that's got a number in it (when the number of characters I've typed exceeds the auto-suggest threshold?

Does SpellCatcher do any automatic learning, or has it all got to be done with a trigger?

thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, I see John answered you, and essentially, he pretty much found the only solution. Not quite sure how I would address this - there is an obvious ambiguity here that the program itself could never be smart enough to figure out by itself.

I think some sort of modifier key+number could be made to translate to "type this number, don't select anything from the list" - that would be better than forcibly resetting interactive checking...

Thanks for the feedback!

As for automatic learning, that's in the upcoming Windows version, and will eventually make it into the Mac one as well.

As for which product is "ahead" feature-wise, there's no real answer. We add new things to one, then to the other at a later point. No sense in both of us working on the same new technology at once...

So while Spell Catcher Plus is getting phrase completion, Spell Catcher X has internet look-up, somewhat more "modern" word list editing and a few other goodies. It's a leap-frog kind of thing, if you get what I mean.

#8 cormullion

cormullion

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:37 AM

... So while Spell Catcher Plus is getting phrase completion, Spell Catcher X has internet look-up, somewhat more "modern" word list editing and a few other goodies. It's a leap-frog kind of thing, if you get what I mean.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, that's good to hear! Thanks again.