• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 etgrafx

etgrafx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:51 AM

When I type a possessive like FATHER'S the result is as here, in all caps. I would much prefer not having to fix TERRANCE'S to Terrance's

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 10:05 AM

Hi there,

I’m not quite following what is happening when you type “Terrance’s”... is Spell Catcher converting it to all CAPS?

If this is the case, be sure that you are running the latest update - version 3.0, build #1756.

There have been some capitalization issues with version 3.0, most of them related only to capitalization issues in French.

Get back to me here or on “feedback” e-mail with your version number, and which OS you are using.

Use Check Version... to ensure that you are using the most recent build. This item is in the menu that appears when you click on Spell Catcher’s check in the Taskbar using the right mouse button.

Thanks,
John Tytler,
Rainmaker Research, Inc.

#3 etgrafx

etgrafx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:03 PM

Yes it is converting "Terrance's" to all caps, as in "TERRANCE'S which was typed all lower case.
Using version 3.0 build #1756, UK English selected.
Windows XP Pro sp2

Hi there,

I’m not quite following what is happening when you type “Terrance’s”... is Spell Catcher converting it to all CAPS?

If this is the case, be sure that you are running the latest update - version 3.0, build #1756.

There have been some capitalization issues with version 3.0, most of them related only to capitalization issues in French.

Get back to me here or on “feedback” e-mail with your version number, and which OS you are using.

Use Check Version... to ensure that you are using the most recent build. This item is in the menu that appears when you click on Spell Catcher’s check in the Taskbar using the right mouse button.

Thanks,
John Tytler,
Rainmaker Research, Inc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 06:35 PM

What you are describing was reported last winter by a beta tester. We exchanged e-mails for a few days and managed (at that time) to fix this problem... but it seems perhaps not completely.

You are the first to report this kind of thing since then. It happens when the simulated pressing of the shift key to generate the “T” in Terrence is not properly released... resulting in the entire word being capitalized.

I’m going out of town this week, but would like to enlist your help in examining this further next week.

Get back to me in this thread if you can help out then...

Thanks for the report,
John Tytler,
Author - Spell Catcher for Windows

#5 etgrafx

etgrafx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 May 2005 - 07:33 PM

Yes, I would be willing and able to help out. I will be able to examine this further Tuesday and some of Thursday. I am in another office on Monday and out of town on Wednesday.
I will play around with the shift key, though I just noticed that typing Terrance in lowercase without using the shift key at all creates the same problem as in TERRANCE'S (typed in all lowercase with no use of shift key at all)

What you are describing was reported last winter by a beta tester. We exchanged e-mails for a few days and managed (at that time) to fix this problem... but it seems perhaps not completely.

You are the first to report this kind of thing since then. It happens when the simulated pressing of the shift key to generate the “T” in Terrence is not properly released... resulting in the entire word being capitalized.

I’m going out of town this week, but would like to enlist your help in examining this further next week.

Get back to me in this thread if you can help out then...

Thanks for the report,
John Tytler,
Author - Spell Catcher for Windows

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#6 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 01:37 PM

OK,

Fixed this problem just now with the help of Andy Beckett, in the UK. The problem was related to the UK language references. It resulted in all proper nouns ending with 's to be fully capitalized instead of having just their first letter capitalized.

Thanks to both Andy and Terrence for alerting me to this issue.

A new build (version 3.0.0, build #1772) will be coming out soon with this fix...

Cheers,
John