Jump to content


Photo

Spell Catcher Update?


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jay

jay

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2003 - 05:43 PM

Is there going to be a upgrade price for Spell Catcher X?
I was interested in getting it, kept putting it off.
Now it looks as though you have only full version pricing available

Thanks

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

    Administrator

  • Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 29 July 2003 - 11:35 PM

Is there going to be a upgrade price for Spell Catcher X?
I was interested in getting it, kept putting it off.
Now it looks as though you have only full version pricing available

Thanks

Please read this thread related to upgrades.

We can't do this right now because of the reasons stated in my post. This may change, it may not. Realize that we are not C&G, have only been doing this for a month or so now, and have to build the necessary technology (pages on our web site, databases, new items on our online store) from scratch. It's not a trivial task.

We are working on all of this, trying to figure out the best way to make folks such as yourself happy. We had to start somewhere, and obviously the first step is providing technical support for current Spell Catcher owners (this place) and making the product itself available for sale.

But our hands our tied in numerous ways - we only have a small subset of all the Spell Catcher customers that are really out there.

If we have to manually verify all the customers that want an upgrade price and aren't in the list we have (i.e. deal with everyone on an individual basis) we'll never be able to get back to what we really do best - i.e. improving the products themselves. Any solution of this sort (upgrading customers that weren't originally ours) has to be automated. And any solution that is going to cost us money is not an option. If you purchased Spell Catcher 8 directly from C&G (for, say, $40 - i.e. no distributor/middle man), we got to keep around $4.75. They got to keep over $20 (call the difference commissions/cost of sales/overhead).

We have some ideas on how to deal with certain situations like lost installers (lost serial numbers for customers that aren't in the list we got from C&G is a much trickier problem), but this all takes time.

It's easy for us to do things in the future for those customers that buy from us - like limited-time "coupons" where you can purchase a copy of Spell Catcher for a different OS at a discount. But we're a different company, in a different country (Canada), with limited resources (basically, we were only paid about 10% of what we were due for every copy of Spell Catcher X that C&G sold).

So hang around, keep checking in, give us your ideas (put yourself in our shoes for a few minutes) and hopefully we can come up with something that will make most people happy. We'll never make everyone happy - there's an old saying about that one.

And we do appreciate it if you decide to "dig deeper" and buy Spell Catcher X now instead of waiting to see if we can come up with some way to save you $10 (upgrades from C&G were $29.95). Unlike many other product "upgrades", there would be nothing preventing you from using BOTH Spell Catcher 8 (in Classic apps or if you needed to work in OS 9 for any reason) AND Spell Catcher X at the same time. They are two different products developed in completely different efforts for two entirely different operating systems.

Evan Gross
Rainmaker Research Inc.
President, Spell Catcher for Mac developer, webmaster, sales, marketing, PR and support manager, not to mention janitor, secretary, accountant and dog walker.

#3 paulc

paulc

    Advanced Member

  • Co-Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Location:New York

Posted 01 August 2003 - 10:39 AM

Evan, "secretary" was upgraded (for free) to "administrative assistant" may years back. As you're the chief cook, that should be "executive assistant." And you can probably add "CEO/President" to that list as well.

#4 WmRPace

WmRPace

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 August 2003 - 07:57 AM

Evan,

Thanks for the thorough explanation about upgrades; it's exactly the info I was looking for.

I've been a long time user of Spell Catcher and greatly appreciate it. I'm just now migrating to OS X and definitely miss not having Spell Catcher. I hope that you are able at some point to offer upgrade prices. I may not wait that long, but if I don't, I know that my extra money will be going to a good place.

Thanks,

Bill

PS -- Any typos that appear are because I don't have Spell Catcher! :rolleyes:

#5 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

    Administrator

  • Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 03 August 2003 - 06:52 PM

Evan,

Thanks for the thorough explanation about upgrades; it's exactly the info I was looking for.

I've been a long time user of Spell Catcher and greatly appreciate it. I'm just now migrating to OS X and definitely miss not having Spell Catcher. I hope that you are able at some point to offer upgrade prices. I may not wait that long, but if I don't, I know that my extra money will be going to a good place.

Thanks,

Bill

PS -- Any typos that appear are because I don't have Spell Catcher!  :rolleyes:

I'm glad someone is understanding all this - it's a really tricky problem and we're trying to figure out some way to deal with it.

The main problems are that we don't have a list of every customer that's eligible for some kind of upgrade and that even if we did, we don't have the web pages/databases/software/online store features to allow us to sell upgrades and track the serial numbers that are eligible and that are upgraded. We don't know who's already upgraded from C&G, either.

And anyone that ever bought an upgrade from C&G did just that - they bought if from C&G - not us. A totally different company. We only saw a tiny portion of the upgrade fee. Not enough to let us set up the ability to perform upgrades ourself.

It just seems an impossible situation to try to catch up with. I honestly have no promises that we'll ever be able to do this for C&G customers. I just don't think we have the info we need to pick up where they left off.

Some sort of special for our own customers (that buy from Rainmaker) isn't a problem - we have your info and kept enough of your payment amount to help implement something like this.

And if we spend all our time trying to figure out how to save folks the $10 we may never get back to improving the software. Just seems like one of those trade-offs that have to be made in order to go forward.

If anyone has any ideas (reasonable, sane, possible) or advice, feel free to offer.

#6 outtacontext

outtacontext

    Member

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:03 AM

I know you guys are busy, settling in, but do you have a schedule for the next version of Spell Catcher (10.1 I believe)?

#7 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

    Administrator

  • Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, Canada
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 10 August 2003 - 08:14 PM

I know you guys are busy, settling in, but do you have a schedule for the next version of Spell Catcher (10.1 I believe)?

As soon as humanly possible. Nobody wants it out sooner than we do (we need the exposure and all that comes with releasing an update - new sales, minor upgrade income).

We HAVE to have a reasonably filled-in web site before we announce a new version. That comes first, along with our own registered user database (version 1 of the registration database is almost ready). After John and I get this done, I will start coding again. My guess is that there's still 4 solid weeks of coding/testing left that need to be done.

That's the best I can predict.

Evan Gross