• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JoeMed

JoeMed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:46 PM

The shorthand feature has saved my lousy writing big time and I use it for boiler plates for short cuts. Keeping track of all the short cuts with some of small variations is impossible. I use an excel spread sheet to try to remember them. If I print them from spell check I get all the shorthand items all the misspelled corrections also. If there was a to select a box, that represents print these (or don't print these) would be awesome. Being able to sort them, (1-10 or colors) and print would be excelent.

Joe

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:55 AM

Thanks for the idea - some sort of "Print Selection" might be a good idea and not too hard to implement.

Meanwhile, as a work-around (since I assume you don't print your shorthand glossary files all that often) you can easily do this:

- Create a new, untitled shorthand glossary document (Spell Catcher app, File->New->Shorthand Glossary).
- Open the shorthand glossary document containing the shorthands you want to print.
- Select the ones you want to print, drag and drop them (or copy/paste) to the untitled document.
- Print the untitled document.

You can selectively print this way, but I can't think of any good way NOT to print the expansion. But why don't you want the expansion printed? If only the abbreviation was printed, you wouldn't know what the result would be when you typed it!

#3 JoeMed

JoeMed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:15 AM

Thanks for the idea - some sort of "Print Selection" might be a good idea and not too hard to implement.

Meanwhile, as a work-around (since I assume you don't print your shorthand glossary files all that often) you can easily do this:

- Create a new, untitled shorthand glossary document (Spell Catcher app, File->New->Shorthand Glossary).
- Open the shorthand glossary document containing the shorthands you want to print.
- Select the ones you want to print, drag and drop them (or copy/paste) to the untitled document.
- Print the untitled document.

You can selectively print this way, but I can't think of any good way NOT to print the expansion. But why don't you want the expansion printed? If only the abbreviation was printed, you wouldn't know what the result would be when you typed it!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

how about duplicating the shortcuts, opening the copy, editing out what I do not want to print. then going back to the original fiile

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:25 AM

how about duplicating the shortcuts,  opening the copy, editing out what I do not want to print. then going back to the original fiile

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whatever does the job for you is fine. Just planting the basic idea in your head.

Sort of depends on whether you want the majority of the file printed, or just pieces of it.

But duplicating the actual file sounds like a bad idea - it would be better to instead copy/paste the entire contents to a new untitled file, then edit it. The idea with using an untitled file as the go-between for printing a subset of the file is that you can just close it without saving once you're done.

In either case, make sure you don't CUT anything out of the original unintentionally. And after you're done printing, don't save the untitled file used just to selectively print to disk. Otherwise you'll have duplicate shortcuts - not really any sort of issue with the operation of the program, but duplicates all over the place can make it harder to diagnose why a particular shorthand doesn't expand, or word doesn't get flagged, things like that.

#5 JoeMed

JoeMed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:57 AM

how about duplicating the shortcuts,  opening the copy, editing out what I do not want to print. then going back to the original fiile

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whatever does the job for you is fine. Just planting the basic idea in your head.

Sort of depends on whether you want the majority of the file printed, or just pieces of it.

But duplicating the actual file sounds like a bad idea - it would be better to instead copy/paste the entire contents to a new untitled file, then edit it. The idea with using an untitled file as the go-between for printing a subset of the file is that you can just close it without saving once you're done.

In either case, make sure you don't CUT anything out of the original unintentionally. And after you're done printing, don't save the untitled file used just to selectively print to disk. Otherwise you'll have duplicate shortcuts - not really any sort of issue with the operation of the program, but duplicates all over the place can make it harder to diagnose why a particular shorthand doesn't expand, or word doesn't get flagged, things like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Missed the option of being able to have multiple shorthand files, this will be easy, any way to sort or export the file?

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:51 AM

Missed the option of being able to have multiple shorthand files, this will be easy, any way to sort or export the file?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, sort by clicking the abbreviation or expansion column headers, just like in any other Mac application with a sortable list of items.

Export - use Save As (not recommended for exporting!) or better yet, Save a Copy As. Save a Copy As can export to Spell Catcher 8, Spell Catcher Plus, and XML Property List (new in 10.2.1) formats.

Not sure what you're looking to do with the exported file, though...

Note that you can also select multiple shorthands in the list and drag and drop them to a text editor. A semi-useful textual representation is created. Not really all that useful as an export/exchange mechanism because you can't drop the text or clipping file back in.