• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JoeMed

JoeMed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:12 PM

There are some word like "hoe" and I meant "how" and went right by SpellCatcher. I never use "hoe". But, as these situations occur to able to mark them as "are you sure that is the word you meant" even "he" when I was typing "the" if I could check a document for "he" I would find so few times it should be "he" and not "the". The "or" vs "of" is also a problem spot in typing and goes right buy. If, when I preformed check spelling and those words were highlighted I could easily find them and make sure they were what was intended.

thanks

JoeMed

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 14 June 2005 - 01:01 AM

There are some word like "hoe" and I meant "how" and went right by SpellCatcher. I never use "hoe". But, as these situations occur to able to mark them as "are you sure that is the word you meant" even "he" when I was typing "the" if I could check a document for "he" I would find so few times it should be "he" and not "the". The "or" vs "of" is also a problem spot in typing and goes right buy. If, when I preformed check spelling and those words were highlighted I could easily find them and make sure they were what was intended.

thanks

JoeMed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is an easy one:

- Create a shorthand glossary document specifically for these kinds of typos (words).
- From your example above, add entries like "hoe" -> "how", "he" -> "the", "or" -> "of".
- You would probably want to have the "Use" box UNCHECKED for this file most of the time (up to you).

When you want to check for errors like this during Check Selection, visit Spell Catcher Preferences, References pane, check the Use box, switch back to the Check Selection window. All the text will get re-checked, suspects will be marked as shorthands.

#3 JoeMed

JoeMed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:29 AM

is there a way to edit the main dictionaries?? can I just get rid of these simple words and let them pop up as misspelled? "hoe"

Joe
joemed@cableone.net

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 20 December 2005 - 08:55 PM

is there a way to edit the main dictionaries?? can I just get rid of these simple words and let them pop up as misspelled? "hoe"

Joe
joemed@cableone.net

You can't edit the main dictionaries, but if you need to effectively remove a word, you add that word to an Omitted Words list. That's what they are there for...

#5 JoeMed

JoeMed

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 03:33 AM

Ok that is easy, if I only had time to keep up with all the options my software had...
Then new version!

thanks

Is there a short cut for this feature? Select a word and make it omitted. I omitted "he" (being a "the" typo) and it is great.

#6 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:02 PM

Ok that is easy, if I only had time to keep up with all the options my software had...
Then new version!

thanks

Is there a short cut for this feature? Select a word and make it omitted. I omitted "he" (being a "the" typo) and it is great.

Sorry, no shortcut (and Omitted Words have been around for at least a decade)...

Reason being that so few folks actually make any use of Omitted Words in the first place.