3 replies to this topic

#1 dbx

dbx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:29 PM

Hi, John and Evan,

Iím a registered user of Spell Catcher Plus 3.x for Windows. Right now itís installed on my laptop but Iíd also like to use it on my desktop so it becomes my single source of corrections and learned words. Two questions:

Can Spell Catcherís dictionary files reside on my thumb drive (in this case a Pocket Rocket) and work well with both computers?

Second, do I need to purchase a second license for my desktop? I would be the only one using the program and will not be using it on both computers at the same timeósince the thumb drive with the files would be in only one computer or the other.

Please let me know what will work, and what I need to do. I appreciate your product very much!

Cheerily,

Dan Barnett
Butte College
Oroville, CA

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 06:54 PM

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the questions...

Yes, you should be able to configure your Spell Catcher installations so that you can keep your learned words and shorthand expansions on your portable drive, and hence, always have them with you regardless of which computer you are using.

In fact, I've just added Folder Options into Spell Catcher's Settings dialog, and this is what you can use to configure things how you want. (NOTE: You have to be using the latest version - build #1792).

On each machine, use this panel to indicate that your Settings and Reference files are kept on your portable drive. It should be really easy to configure this. Then you just have to have your drive plugged in before launching Spell Catcher, so it can find your files where they are expected.

I'm interested in how this works for you... please get back to us in this thread with your progress.

Secondly, concerning your license... our policy is one license per family unit (or individual), so you can use you same Spell Catcher Plus license on all your PCs. Businesses are asked to purchase a license for each employee using Spell Catcher.

John Tytler,
Author - Spell Catcher Plus
Rainmaker Research, Inc.

#3 Byron James

Byron James

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:48 PM

This is an old (and short) thread, but I would like to add a related question without starting a new thread. I use SpellCatcher extensively on my Mac for my medical office. I occasionally work other places, like the VA, and would like to use SpellCatcher there. The IT department understandably does not want users adding unscanctioned programs. Is there a way I can install SC on a thumb drive and use it on my computer there? They use PC's, but I do own one PC version of SC (which right now I essentially never use). Thanks.

#4 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:34 PM

You shouldn't have any trouble running Spell Catcher X off a thumb drive - however Spell Catcher Plus and Spell Catcher X require different license codes.