1 reply to this topic

#1 dbx

dbx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

Hi,

Is it possible to change or override the spelling of a word in a locked dictionary? I want to type “website” but Spell Catcher Plus for Windows 3.x insists on changing it to “Web site.” The only way to get the word I want is to write it as two words and then go back and delete the space.

Any help would be appreciated!

Cheerily,

Dan Barnett
Butte College
Oroville, CA

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 29 July 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hi Dan,

Yes, I too find the expansion of “website” into “Web site” a real pain in the a**. I’ve been meaning to permanently remove it from the distributed references.

Getting to your question, yes, you can edit locked references by unlocking them. Doing this is pretty straightforward.

Just go to the Reference Files panel in Spell Catcher’s Settings dialog and locate the locked reference that you want to modify. If you position the cursor over the lock symbol in the list and click the left mouse button, you can unlock the reference for editing. You can leave the references unlocked at all times if you want...

NOTE: When you are editing any reference that is installed by Spell Catcher, a copy of that reference is placed in your “My Documents/Spell Catcher Plus” so that others using the same installation will not be affected by any of your editing changes. When Spell Catcher loads a file, it always checks to see if there is a “personal” version of the file before loading the “supplied” file.

Get back to me here if you have a follow-up question.
Cheers,
John Tytler
Author - Spell Catcher Plus
Rainmaker Research, Inc.