• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jpeauroi

jpeauroi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 03:41 PM

I have multiple employees who use SC plus (build 1842) from multiple workstations. Any given user often uses different workstations and multiple different users use the same computer throughout the day. On each workstation, SC is configured to read reference files (glossaries) stored on a netowork drive and each user's settings are also stored on a network location, so that no matter where they work, they always have access to their reference files and settings and these can be maitained as single copies of each.

This generally works great!! But, I have configured up a new machine. I put pointers in the local SC program files (i.e. "username - Local Folder.txt") directory pointing to their settings files on the network location.

Problem: On this newly configured machine (XP SP2) when I open settings and look at reference file list, some reference are not present like I expect (based on the setting file showing them on other workstations). When I try to add them on the new machine, I get a message that the file name referenced I alreay in the reference list - but I don't see it. When I pull down the reference filter drop down list, my only option is US English. I am using universal settings (no application specific settings). I can't figure this out. Is there some sort of corruption in the settings.4sc file?

#2 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 February 2006 - 08:55 PM

Hi,

In the Settings dialog, Reference Files panel, select "All References" from the dropdown list. You may find the server based references that you are searching for listed there.

Let me know in this thread,
Thanks,
John Tytler
Rainmaker Research, Inc.

#3 jpeauroi

jpeauroi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 01:27 PM

It wasn't as clear in my original post as I wanted but I tried this. "All References" is not listed in the drop down list on this workstation. I had already checked for this, because I have found lost files lurking there in on other machines.

#4 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 06:26 PM

Hi John,

Perhaps this is a bad Settings file. Can you try exiting Spell Catcher then renaming the Settings.4sc file on the machine with the problem to something else like "XSettings.4sc". [This way you can return to the previous settings if you need them again.]

Then relaunch Spell Catcher and configure the settings again, adding in shared files through the Add button in the Reference Files panel.

This should do the trick. Additionally, there should always be an "All References" item in the pull down menu in the Reference Files panel... so something isn't quite right.

Perhaps having Spell Catcher create a new settings file will resolve this issue.

Let me know,
John

Sorry for the delay in this post... I missed your response.

#5 jpeauroi

jpeauroi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:52 PM

Hi John,
I am reactivating this thread from a long time ago -- I continue to have problems with this issue and wondered if, in the interim since I first posted you've come up with any new ideas?

To refresh you on some background, I use SCP 3.0.0 build 1842 in a networked environment, on W2K SP4 workstations. Users are configured with roaming profiles and each users "my documents" is redirrected at logon (by Windows Server 2003) to a personal networked folder. I have multiple users using multiple W2K workstations, and each user may use a different workstation from day to day or shift to shift (medical transcription). This configuration allows a user to use the same settings file from their networked my docs location on any of the multiple workstations that they may work from. The reference file glossaries are also stored on a networked location so they are accessed in the same fashion.

So, I had to reinstall SCP on a workstation after a HD crash and the new installation is not quite right. When user X uses SCP on NewMachine, there are problems accessing ref files. In particular, some reference files are not listed on the new machine. When we try to add using the ADD button, we get the "you cannot add this reference, it is already in the list" message. The "References filter display" at thetop only lists "US English". "All References" is not listed on the problematic new machine. When user X uses SCP using the same settings file on OldMachine, it works fine, and All References are listed and availab.e User Y has the same experiences.

The fact that any users settings file works fine on other machines, and that multiple users have the same experiences, suggests it is a local workstation problem rather than a settings file corruption. Do you agree???

What's the problem? I tried reinstalling the app and still no luck. I am stuck!!

Thanks, John P

Hi John,

Perhaps this is a bad Settings file. Can you try exiting Spell Catcher then renaming the Settings.4sc file on the machine with the problem to something else like "XSettings.4sc". [This way you can return to the previous settings if you need them again.]

Then relaunch Spell Catcher and configure the settings again, adding in shared files through the Add button in the Reference Files panel.

This should do the trick. Additionally, there should always be an "All References" item in the pull down menu in the Reference Files panel... so something isn't quite right.

Perhaps having Spell Catcher create a new settings file will resolve this issue.

Let me know,
John

Sorry for the delay in this post... I missed your response.

#6 John Tytler

John Tytler

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hi John,

I know what is going on here. You have been using a "special build" of Spell Catcher which keeps all your users' modified reference files and settings on a server so they always have their own settings and references available no matter what machine they are using in your office.

This is a special build because I hadn't brought this feature into the Settings dialog so it could be controlled from Spell Catcher's Settings dialog.

I've just finished reworking the "Folder Options" panel in the Settings dialog so its easy to select what server is being used to store your users files...

This feature will be available to all in the upcoming release.

Please contact me now by e-mail, so you can try it out for me.

Thanks,
John Tytler
Author - Spell Catcher Plus
john@rainmakerinc.com