2 replies to this topic

#1 vamp07

vamp07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:53 PM

Hi,

I live in Puerto Rico where we tend to butcher both the english and Spanish languages simultaneously. Is it possible to tell spell catcher to load and use two language dictionaries at the same time?

Thanks

Steven

#2 Evan Gross

Evan Gross

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,991 posts
  • Interests:This Place!

Posted 22 March 2006 - 08:35 PM

Hi,

I live in Puerto Rico where we tend to butcher both the english and Spanish languages simultaneously. Is it possible to tell spell catcher to load and use two language dictionaries at the same time?

Thanks

Steven

Do you mean check both English and Spanish spelling references for each word? If so, no, there is no way to do this.

There are ways to quickly switch between languages using keyboard shortcut(s) of your choosing.

One other possibility exists, at least with Spell Catcher X. You can assign both English and Spanish to a Learned Words file (any set of languages, really) so it's available in either language. If you could create a list of words that should be considered valid when typing in either language, and that list isn't incredibly large (less than a couple thousand), you could avoid extraneous error alerts.

That doesn't solve the problem of generating suggestions in the language you want - indeed the main reason you can't have two main languages in use at once. Which language should suggestions be generated in? While it's technically possible to use our linguistic engine the way you want, there are some fundamental issues related to doing so...

#3 vamp07

vamp07

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:26 PM

I already use the keyboard shortcut. Thanks for the reply