Spell Catcher Plus Change Log
This is a list of all changes made to Spell Catcher Plus since the release of version 3.0.0. If this page has been presented to you after performing a Version Check, you are running an earlier build of version 3.0.0. You may want to download the latest build of Spell Catcher Plus for Windows (version 3.0 build #2174).
View the Complete Version History.
September 23, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1842
There isn’t much new in this build, just a few things changed as listed below:
A few small changes have been made to the Phrase Completion code, so that it more readily recalls phrases that you've typed in the past.
NOTE: Several people have reported that both Phrase Completion and Ghostwriter will remember userids and passwords if you type them while these features are enabled. You can turn Interactive Checking off when entering sensitive information so that it is not recorded. An easy way to do this is to assign a hot key to the "Interactive Checking" menu item.
- The "double double" word error handling has been reworked.
- Spell Catcher could interact with Zone Alarm, causing the machine to freeze when ZA asks if Spell Catcher should be allowed to capture keystrokes. This has been fixed.
- Spell Catcher used to report compound words, such as "Red/Green", as capitalization errors. This has been fixed.
June 23, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1792
A thousand apologies folks! Build #1787 contained a bug which prevented the creation of a settings file. This means new users were not able to adjust the program's settings and have them saved from session to session. Many thanks to Chris Carson in the UK for first reporting this problem and helping with its fix.
NOTE: This problem only affected new users, not those with existing installations.
June 16, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1787
- More capitalization improvements. Specifically, proper names like (paul's) are now correctly capitalized into (Paul's). There was a problem with the UK references which resulted in words like (andy's) being fully capitalized into (ANDY'S).
- The Phrase Completion code has been improved. Phrases are now more readily recorded than in all previous builds. Some folks had reported that phrases were not being recorded when expected.
- A new panel called Folder Options has been added to the Settings dialog. This panel lets you relocate where Spell Catcher keeps your settings file and any modified reference files.
- Finally, e-mail requests are now made while Spell Catcher is exiting if being used in trial mode, or if a program exception occurs.
May 6, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1756
- A series of Capitalization errors have been corrected. Most of these errors only showed up when using French references. Typically, they resulted in the wrong letter being capitalized in a word.
- There was a problem with the calculation of the sound volume in Settings dialog, Sound Control panel, when DirectSound is checked. The calculation resulted in sounds playing very quietly, even when the volume slider was set to maximum.
- A reported crash led to the discovery of a rarely encountered NULL pointer problem that was easily correct.
- Finally, the Usage and Tips dialog has been placed in a separate application.
April 20, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1728
- A Spell Catcher Notification dialog was interfering with MS Word, giving the appearance that the machine had frozen. On Windows 98 machines, the same Notification dialog would hang the machine. Anyway, these nasty problems were fixed. My apologies for all these minor updates to 3.0.0. We are about finished at this point.
- Several people reported that the Notification dialogs kept coming back, even when they checked a "Don't show me this again" item.
- Finally, links in the Notification dialogs to either web sites or to create e-mail messages were not working on Windows 98. They do now...
April 19, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1721
- The alterations that were made in build #1708 to accommodate hyperthreading (HT) introduced a problem with pasting results from Check Selection back into documents. This has been fixed!
- When large fonts are used in the correction and phrase completion popups, some of the corrections are shortened for display purposes. These shortened corrections and phrases would be inserted into text if chosen, rather than the intended correction or phrase.
- The installation of either US or UK Additional references, could result in placing these additional references in front of the "Main Spellings" reference. This would result in strange capitalization suggestions.
April 14, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1708
- A nasty bug related to Intel's "Hyperthreading" (HT) technology was fixed today. Many thanks to Anthony Jones for helping us out with this!. There may be more "hyperthread" related problems lurking. If your machine has HT technology please let us know how Spell Catcher is doing - especially if you observe some problems!
- The targeted application would loose focus when the Suggest Spelling dialog was used to make several corrections, resulting in the insertion point disappearing from where you expect to be typing.
April 13, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1694
- A crash would occur if all Telephone Expansion were removed from the Settings dialog, Shorthand Expansion panel.
- A few oddities were fixed with the Expansion popup. It was possible for a different expansion to occur from that selected in the expansion popup.
- Keys requested with version 2.5.0 were not properly enabling all features, including Ghostwriter, Phrase Completion, and non-US languages.
April 11, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1671
- Another small fix to capitalization of French words at the beginning of a sentence.
- Single character letters not being properly capitalized, including the letter "i".
- Words like "i'm" and "i've" are not properly capitalized if smarten quotes is checked in the Typing panel.
- Installer modifier to remove Launch at Start link when Spell Catcher is uninstalled.
April 7, 2005 - Version 3.0.0, Build 1632
- An error in the Expansion Parameter substitution code was found and fixed.
- The spelling of the word "Portuguese" was correctly in the few strings in which it appears.
March 29, 2005 - Version 3.0.0
Version 3.0.0 is released for the first time. No build number is associated with this release.